Mommy/hair goals: Soraja and daughters Janelle and Shanillia

Ms.CuriousCat

All Star
Daps
No offense to the OP, at all but I think black people are a little too concerned with hair. What is hair goals? I find it disturbing especially what it seems to imply. I wish we could all take a vacation from the rest of the world, give us some time to regroup and heal.

Everyone who is healthy enough is concerned with their hair. Is it thick enough, light enough, dark enough, long enough, am I going bald or grey...

It's human nature.

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
Hair goals is exactly what it sounds like.

Too concerned with hair according to what or whom? Or compared to what?

You saying a whole lotta nothing. What is the implication that you are taking from it?

Hair and appearance has held significance in Africa long before European interference so what exactly are you implying?

Everyone likes their hair to look good but these pics and memes are too much.

And what is the goal? To have their hairstyle? Is it too have long hair? Is it to have a certain look? Some black people are obsessed with hair. People not wanting to cut their children's hair because they want it to be long, people not wanting to cut their children's hair because it's a certain texture, people obsessing over their own hair length and texture. It's gotten to be ridiculous.

And I'm not comparing it to no one. Why would I? Unlike many I don't look to other groups or cultures to define what is right or wrong.

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
Everyone who is healthy enough is concerned with their hair. Is it thick enough, light enough, dark enough, long enough, am I going bald or grey...

It's human nature.

Me and others must be an anomaly. The most I've ever concerned myself with hair is if it looks nice. I can't relate to the bolded. Agree to disagree.

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
@CinnaSlim @Ms.CuriousCat
I might of been kinda critical with my comments but I'm just so annoyed by hair discussions, mostly due to some ignorant people I work with. They like to discuss hair goals, daughter goals, etc. And I try to keep away; but of course they try to drag me into the convo. I'm not going to further derail the thread but let's just say it gives off negative vibes in regards to black people, as in I guess it's featurism? I may post about it in the random thoughts thread.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Everyone likes their hair to look good but these pics and memes are too much.

And what is the goal? To have their hairstyle? Is it too have long hair? Is it to have a certain look? Some black people are obsessed with hair. People not wanting to cut their children's hair because they want it to be long, people not wanting to cut their children's hair because it's a certain texture, people obsessing over their own hair length and texture. It's gotten to be ridiculous.

And I'm not comparing it to no one. Why would I? Unlike many I don't look to other groups or cultures to define what is right or wrong.
You're overthinking it. It's bout styling goals. Her daughters have two very different textures and she is able to style them both and herself beautifully.

It's just a thread showcasing and appreciating their hair. No need for projection. The majority of people aint going crazy over hair. Sure we want to look good but I don't believe it's that serious.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
@CinnaSlim @Ms.CuriousCat
I might of been kinda critical with my comments but I'm just so annoyed by hair discussions, mostly due to some ignorant people I work with. They like to discuss hair goals, daughter goals, etc. And I try to keep away; but of course they try to drag me into the convo. I'm not going to further derail the thread but let's just say it gives off negative vibes in regards to black people, as in I guess it's featurism? I may post about it in the random thoughts thread.
That's fine. It happens to most of us but it seems you skipped over the fact that one of the daughters has type 4 hair. I believe so does the mom. Im wondering how you got that from everyone wearing bantu knots.

The reason I posted it was the fact she styled both textures equally well.

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
@KaliOshun Yeah I was was probably overthinking it and feeling annoyed by a similar topic at work. Some girl at my job was talking about her "daughter goals" she often posts on instagram and what not and it was ridiculous. She's light brown with 3c hair and her boyfriend is dark skinned with 4c hair, yet every pic she showed us was some light girl with 3a-3c hair. I was like you're kidding me right? Who has a specific way they want their daughter to look and if you do what sense does it make to date someone who's features you wouldn't want present in your children? I was annoyed by the whole conversation. Smh. So I'm sure I brought that thinking in this thread.