MMS: let's talk cardio my well educated brethren...

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
Whats your opinion on incorporating cardio into PHAT?

What type?
Which days?
How frequently?

Your input is appreciated.

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
my cardio is basketball and 5-10 minute intervals of sex

basketball frequency: twice a week. i lift legs twice a week like they do in phat, i play basketball before i squat. hurts the weight but it makes me feel more fluid.

sex frequency: once or twice a month. once a week if i give her my credit card.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
i like parking lot sprints, i only do them 1 day a week right now

i always treat cardio as a means of increasing cardiovascular health as opposed to deepening calorie deficit just to get that out of the way

ive seen your pics and imo if it was me, id do LISS on the Wednesday break between Power and Hypertrophy days, and then HIIT on the Saturday break between Hypertrophy and Power(next week) days

for me thats Tuesdays(LISS) and Saturday(HIIT) the reason for this is mainly cause i cant fukks with sprinting after heavy squat/dead days whereas after hypertrophy im not nearly as fatigued, i only do sprints right now(i race my ghanian friend who is about 130lbs and fast as fukk) in our parking lot here for roughly 40m, between 5-10 sprints depending on how we feeling with alot of dynamic stretching at the beginning and ends of each run. We do a lap around the complex prior to starting running

you should look at cardio imo as a performance booster IE getting the most real world speed/power out of your leg muscles(ONCE AGAIN THIS IS JUST AN OPINION not necessarily fact)

it needs to be said for the goal of aesthetics if you have such and such amounts of energy day to day you should use it on lifting as opposed to cardio. on non lifting days if that energy is still there i dont see why cardio is a problem :manny: cause ill be real even after getting accustomed to PHAT running is the last thing i would want to do after heavy squat :to:

GoPro

EscoBeard Season Has Returned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#CertLife #ITGang
Just started mine this week

HIIT Sprints 20 on 10 off at 9 mph. 5 sets of 8. 2 minutes rest in between sets
Two days a week.

I was :deadrose: at the end of 4 sets. Gonna try to get that 5th set tomorrow then after that increase my mph.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I feel like if you're going to do cardio the only way to do it is outside.

I do a minimum of a mile everyday: whether its before my cardio work or before my weight session.

I believe that should be a "foundation set" if you will. I like knowing that I can run a straight mile and still have enough energy to continue with whatever it is I need to do after.

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
i like parking lot sprints, i only do them 1 day a week right now

i always treat cardio as a means of increasing cardiovascular health as opposed to deepening calorie deficit just to get that out of the way

ive seen your pics and imo if it was me, id do LISS on the Wednesday break between Power and Hypertrophy days, and then HIIT on the Saturday break between Hypertrophy and Power(next week) days

for me thats Tuesdays(LISS) and Saturday(HIIT) the reason for this is mainly cause i cant fukks with sprinting after heavy squat/dead days whereas after hypertrophy im not nearly as fatigued, i only do sprints right now(i race my ghanian friend who is about 130lbs and fast as fukk) in our parking lot here for roughly 40m, between 5-10 sprints depending on how we feeling with alot of dynamic stretching at the beginning and ends of each run. We do a lap around the complex prior to starting running

you should look at cardio imo as a performance booster IE getting the most real world speed/power out of your leg muscles(ONCE AGAIN THIS IS JUST AN OPINION not necessarily fact)

it needs to be said for the goal of aesthetics if you have such and such amounts of energy day to day you should use it on lifting as opposed to cardio. on non lifting days if that energy is still there i dont see why cardio is a problem :manny: cause ill be real even after getting accustomed to PHAT running is the last thing i would want to do after heavy squat :to:

good looks on the info/response.

my current routine is as you said, i do cardio on my off days from lifting, so...

mon- upper power
tues- lower power
wed- cardio
thurs- back/shoulders hyp
fri- lower body hyp
sat- chest/arms hyp
sun- cardio

i live in manhattan so it's tough to find somewhere to do outdoor sprints like that but i'll breakdown my version of sprints i do on the treadmill.

30 mins total, all on 1.0 incline
first 5 mins warmup (1 min at 4.0 mph, 1 min at 5.0 mph, then 3 min at 6.0 mph)
10 x 2:00 intervals (each interval is 0:30 sprint at 10.0 mph follow by 1:30 cooldown at 6.0 mph)
last 5 mins cooldown (3 min at 6.0 mph, then 1 min at 5.0 mph, then 1 min at 4.0 mph)

1) do you think that is a good cardio workout?

2) if i'm feeling up to it, do you think i should do that on both wed and sun, or would you still suggest throwing something LISS in instead?

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
:cac:

Who is it? Oh, I'm sorry. I can't come to the door right now. I'm afraid that in my weakened condition, I could take a nasty spill down the stairs and subject myself to further school absences. You can reach my parents at their places of business. Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your concern for my well-being. Have a nice day!

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
good looks on the info/response.

my current routine is as you said, i do cardio on my off days from lifting, so...

mon- upper power
tues- lower power
wed- cardio
thurs- back/shoulders hyp
fri- lower body hyp
sat- chest/arms hyp
sun- cardio

i live in manhattan so it's tough to find somewhere to do outdoor sprints like that but i'll breakdown my version of sprints i do on the treadmill.

30 mins total, all on 1.0 incline
first 5 mins warmup (1 min at 4.0 mph, 1 min at 5.0 mph, then 3 min at 6.0 mph)
10 x 2:00 intervals (each interval is 0:30 sprint at 10.0 mph follow by 1:30 cooldown at 6.0 mph)
last 5 mins cooldown (3 min at 6.0 mph, then 1 min at 5.0 mph, then 1 min at 4.0 mph)

1) do you think that is a good cardio workout?

2) if i'm feeling up to it, do you think i should do that on both wed and sun, or would you still suggest throwing something LISS in instead?
i wouldnt sprint on a tread mill, somewhere where you dont have to be looking over your shoulder etc

you want to be focused on a sprint, if thats impossible consider weightlighting HIIT like The Bear

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
i wouldnt sprint on a tread mill, somewhere where you dont have to be looking over your shoulder etc

you want to be focused on a sprint, if thats impossible consider weightlighting HIIT like The Bear

not familiar w the bear, i'll look it up but if you have any more detailed info it would be appreciated.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey

Since HIIT hits legs hard, putting it on rest days will impair recovery on an already volume-heavy routine turning 2 leg days into 3. Tag it on hypertrophy leg day if you must; lowering the weight training volume a bit to compensate is an option. "Hypertrophy" days can be pretty variable in general as long as your power numbers are goin up. IIRC OCMF was stuck in a rut on leg days too. Minimizing recovery prolly aint the best idea :manny:

But I'm assuming maximal muscle growth is the overall goal here, hence doing PHAT in the first place. To quote them twin muscle nikkas;

DO WHATEVER THE fukk YOU WANNA DO
2hyhu86.png