Millions of Americans are approaching retirement age with no savings

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
it's fukked up. I mean not only are we paying into social security, but we also have to fund our own 401K's for the most part. I mean fukking ridiculous.

my mom for instance taught for chicago public schools her whole career. she didn't have to contribute to social security, thus she doesn't get it, but she is getting that sweet pension all while working part time for a college the last 10+ years or so.

I mean they want u to contribute like 15-20% of your gross pay to 401K and most people simply cannot afford to do so.

JNew

Superstar
Daps
I dont think you know how financially illiterate the average American is

Most Americans are a paycheck or two away from the streets

I would say most people are that way because it’s only sane way to live.

Why live when your life revolves around money.

Ik a guy who puts 70% of his paychecks in his retirement fund. He has it figured out where by the time he’s 70 he will have millions in his back account. But he shops at the goodwill and barley has money to live.

It’s evil.

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I would say most people are that way because it’s only sane way to live.

Why live when your life revolves around money.
most people are that way because they arent taught the basics of finance. saving, credit utilization, budgeting, etc.

they also live in a consume now society. americans are the least sophisticated consumers, which lends itself to predatory business and financial practices.

for example, nordstroms and target failed in canada because canadian consumers figured out they're paying more for lower quality goods than americans. target and nordstroms had to pull out because of failing sales.

americans, on the other hand, dont care. there are people financing clothes, electronics, and even groceries...on exorbitant interest rates.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Cold world get a blanket. Better yet off yourselves boomers. You in the fukking way.

Imagine being sold a dream where life starts when you are old and decrepit and even that is out of reach because you can't afford to do nothing.

I mean clearly the system is broken. It's not gonna work out for everyone.

ORDER_66

Demon Time coming 2024
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
it's fukked up. I mean not only are we paying into social security, but we also have to fund our own 401K's for the most part. I mean fukking ridiculous.

my mom for instance taught for chicago public schools her whole career. she didn't have to contribute to social security, thus she doesn't get it, but she is getting that sweet pension all while working part time for a college the last 10+ years or so.

I mean they want u to contribute like 15-20% of your gross pay to 401K and most people simply cannot afford to do so.

15-20% :picard:

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
My mom is 73, still works 50 hours a week in a high demand financial services office. Plans to work until she's 75. Trying to get her to move to my city at that time. She's behind on savings, but generally wants to work and probably will never completely retire.