Millennials are the worst tippers,

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Millennials are the worst tippers, survey says
de5e5430-b504-11e7-82e0-2799ee8c6b98_432a3d10-a539-11e7-9db6-1f6ae76ad0ec_6fe9b0b0-8383-11e7-b994-7fbdcad9e8b0_JuliaHeadshot.jpg

Julia La Roche
Reporter
Yahoo FinanceJune 18, 2018

Millennials are the worst tippers, according to a new survey

The millennial generation, those ages 18 to 37, are cheap when it comes to tipping restaurant servers, according to a new surveyed released by CreditCards.com of 1,000 participants.

When dining out, 10% of millennials said they typically leave no tip for their server, compared to just 3% of respondents who are older.

“People have jobs, but they’re not getting raises, and life is just expensive, especially when you’re carrying student loan debt or other types of debt,” Matt Schulz, a senior industry analyst for CreditCards.com, said to Yahoo Finance. “The other side of it is that we’ve seen a lot of data that shows millennials generally are pretty conservative when it comes to their own money. And that makes plenty of sense because they bear the scars of coming up coming of age during the during the Great Recession and it makes sense that those memories and those experiences would have a really big impact on what they think and what the do forever.”

According to the survey, the median tip a millennial leaves their server is 15%, which is less than the overall median of 18%.

Folks over the age of 38 tend to be more generous, with just over half of them, or 51%, choosing to leave a 20% tip, while just over one-third of millennials, or 36%, said the usually go with a 20% tip.

A typical restaurant worker today might very well be a millennial, so not tipping can be self-defeating.

“At a minimum, it’s troubling because while a lot of people view tipping as just a question of etiquette the truth is that when you don’t tip well, you’re making it harder for that waiter to put food on their own table and that’s a challenge,” Schulz said.

What’s interesting is that millennials said they would rather pay more for food when dining out instead of leaving a tip. More than one-quarter of millennials, or 27%, said they’d pay more. That number is even higher for the younger millennials, ages 18 to 27, with 30% of them saying they’d pay more for their food and forgo the tip.

Meanwhile, the older generations prefer the traditional tipping system, with only 1 in 4 Gen Xers, ages 38 to 53, and only 13% of Baby Boomers, ages 54 to 72, saying they’d pay for higher food prices in place of tipping.

Dining out isn’t the only area where millennials are skimping on tips, though. The survey found that 18% of millennials opt not to leave any tip when they’re given pre-entered options whether it’s in a taxi or ride-hailing service or at a food truck or coffee shop, compared to 12% of those who are older. When selecting one of those pre-entered options, 14% of millennials said the pick the lowest one.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/millennials-worst-tippers-survey-says-120422248.html

BushidoBrown

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
millennials be broke af and constantly living above their means

many with high amounts of student debt, high rent/living expenses and non well paying careers

Its just gonna get worse in this country

CrazyT22

Pro
Daps
Cuz they broke. Wtf? How many times they gotta tell y’all. I believe I’m considered a millennial 91 but I ain’t broke and I tip good lol

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
why am i tipping someone that cant even do the job right? out of all my years eating out only two women and one guy deserved to get tipped, everybody else?, rubbish

oh id know, my first job was working in a new restaurant

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
If you don't want to work in the service industry, find a new profession.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
get a job where your employer pays you like everyone you expect tips from and it won't be a problem.
Tipping is the biggest scam in the history of modern business. Basically you hire people and don't have to pay them shyt, instead you let other people pay them for you. Because it's so normalized in today's society it doesn't seem unusual but imagine if other jobs did this. You hire lifeguards to watch a public swimming pool for you and instead of paying them you tell them to pass around a collection plate to all the people swimming.

Eclipser

All Star
Daps
:ld:
Millennials are characterized as not fond of being obligated by society to do things that don't make sense to them. Why would tipping be treated any differently?

Gonzo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
USA
Remember everyone, tipping is not required, it's voluntary and a show of gratitude. Most of the time these waiters/waitresses do dikk all but the very bare necessities like just bringing out the food and expect a tip. Nah.

Most of the time they can't even keep my drink from going empty.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
damn another Millenial article. ya'll nikkas need to get it together good thing i'm generation z.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
if you're struggling then why even eat out?:what: that logic is so dumb and confusing.

and if you can't afford to tip then don't eat out. if leaving an extra $10-$20 is a deal breaker then you shouldn't be dining out in the first place. go to a cheaper fast food place.