Microsoft bound by law to inform people of inactive gamepass subscriptions and refund sub charges

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Gamepass subscriber numbers are about to go way down

Yeah, subscription services rely on inactive subs.

Thats why microsoft has that 1 dollar deal. It’s not “people love the service and stick with it” it’s more like people forget they even subscribed to it and by the time it switches to paid they’re too lazy to cancel it along with the other 15 subs they have

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
But people are never going to be that though. If people were more responsible the world would be a better place in general. Nothing wrong with legislation that looks out for people. I'm not speaking for myself. I'm on auto renew for a reason.
That's their problem. If something completely under your control happens to you then you are responsible.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
We're just going to have to disagree:manny:
We are because I don't think you can legislate personal responsibility such as people reading their bills and knowing what they're paying for on credit card statements. That's something you personally decide not to do. If you're paying credit card statements without reviewing them or letting your checking account statements come and go with out reviewing them then that's consent you're ok with what was paid.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang

Thats why microsoft has that 1 dollar deal. It’s not “people love the service and stick with it” it’s more like people forget they even subscribed to it and by the time it switches to paid they’re too lazy to cancel it along with the other 15 subs they have
GamePass includes Xbox live. I assume they'll be using Xbox live. Doubt it will have much affect.

It remains to be seen if Sony and Nintendo adopt a similar procedure. But it is likely that the Competition and Markets Authority will be in contact with them too, so this could have far-reaching consequences for the gaming industry. And fingers crossed, it means a whole lot less of us will be forking over hundreds for services we forget to cancel.

Anticonsumer gonna Anticonsumer :francis:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Subscription services rely on getting your cost to produce the content under the revenue generated from all your subscribers. With a gaming service you'd prefer those subs be active and spending money on stuff like DLC and expansion packs.

This isn't Planet Fitness where they prefer you sub and never use the service.

Those $1 Gold conversions are to get people to try the service at a discount get used to having it and decide to keep it. When I first subscribed to Spotify they gave me 6 months free. After those 6 months I decided I'd like to keep the service and have had it for years now.