Microsoft & AMD Supercharge Console Gaming with the Xbox Series X

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Microsoft & AMD Supercharge Console Gaming ... | Community

I am excited to share some of the details that Microsoft announced today on Xbox
00ae.png
Series X, and how it is built upon the partnership with the team at AMD.

Together, we have relentlessly pushed the innovation boundaries of gaming devices for the last 15 years. Today, AMD and Microsoft are excited to announce more details on the Xbox Series X, which will deliver an incredible and immersive gaming experience, including the next generation of performance, graphics, lighting, visuals and audio technologies.

AMD and Microsoft worked together for several years to design and optimize every aspect of the Xbox Series X System on a Chip (SoC). The goal was to deliver a transformational design, generational performance and broad experience uplift with innovation throughout silicon, system and software. Key features include:

• Transformational CPU computing performance powered by 8 “Zen 2” CPU Cores (16 Threads)
  • A customized GPU based on next generation AMD RDNA 2 gaming architecture with 52 compute units to deliver 12 TFLOPS of single precision performance, enabling increases in graphics performance and hardware accelerated DirectX
    00ae.png
    Raytracing and Variable Rate Shading
  • New gaming experiences with seamless content paging from the SSD to the GPU based on the revolutionary Xbox
    00ae.png
    Velocity Architecture
  • An innovative 320-bit wide GDDR6 memory interface to satisfy the most demanding visual experiences

These features will empower developers to create realistic and immersive experiences like we’ve never seen before. In addition, the design was built from the ground up to enable backward compatibility with existing Xbox
00ae.png
One titles and will help drive a new generation of DirectX
00ae.png
ecosystem that will continue to push the PC industry forward.

The custom RDNA 2 GPU and “Zen 2” CPU Cores, SoC accelerators and re-architected software stacks will enable gamers to see better image quality, higher resolutions, more stable frame rates and much shorter boot and load times.

The Xbox Series X SoC was architected for the next generation of DirectX
00ae.png
API extensions with hardware acceleration for Raytracing, and Variable Rate Shading. Raytracing is especially one of the most visible new features for gamers, which simulates the properties of light, in real time, more accurately than any technology before it. Realistic lighting completely changes a game and the gamer’s perception.

Xbox Series X will support the latest HDMI 2.1 specification, with support for 4K up to 120 Hz, as well as Variable Refresh Rate and Auto Low Latency Mode.

The Xbox Series X is the biggest generational leap of SoC and API design that we’ve done with Microsoft, and it’s an honor for AMD to partner with Microsoft for this endeavor. The Xbox Series X is going to be a beacon of technical innovation leadership for this console generation and will propagate the innovation throughout the DirectX ecosystem this year and into next year. It is a privilege to be Microsoft’s trusted partner, and we look forward to a successful launch this holiday season!

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
and the sad part is no one will give 2 fukks about this once the PS5 details drop

:mjcry:
You kind of should.

Apparently no one gave a fukk about the news of backwards compatibility when Xbox dropped it...

But, today, nikkas can't imagine sony dropping the PS5 w/o it. Sounds trendsetting to me.

Pay attention to what features the Xbox Series X; it could be the features you demand for future Sony products.:ld:

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
You kind of should.

Apparently no one gave a fukk about the news of backwards compatibility when Xbox dropped it...

But, today, nikkas can't imagine sony dropping the PS5 w/o it. Sounds trendsetting to me.

Pay attention to what features the Xbox Series X; it could be the features you demand for future Sony products.:ld:
BC is not a console mover, great
IPs are

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
You kind of should.

why yall acting like Sony didn't pioneer BC with consoles? :skip:

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
why yall acting like Sony didn't pioneer BC with consoles? :skip:
Lol, I believe you.

What I'm speaking on is the current iteration of backwards compatibility in the way Xbox did it was downplayed in many of the same ways as the features now.

I don't remember brehs saying, "Sony was the pioneer" as some type of way to trivialize BC. I remember brehs saying, "nobody gives a fukk about old games!"

Am I mistaken?

Matter fact, I'll take it a step further; people claimed no one gave a fukk about gamepass when it was first revealed, now, who is still dismissing it?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
BC at launch especially with the way things can be enhanced like a PC is great.

BC two years after launch when people are already playing new games is a cool move for owners and fans but not something that will move the needle and won't sway people who were on the fence. Cool to have but I'd wager most people aren't deciding on getting an Xbox because they can pop in Gears of War 2. I think BC is important right at launch.

Last edited: