Mickey Rourke criticizes 'irrelevant' Tom Cruise for playing the 'same F*CKING part for 35 years'

KingsOfKings

π•„π•’π••π•π•šπ•“ π•šπ•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒π•₯
Daps

Don't expect Mickey Rourke to ever play Tom Cruise's wingman.

The Wrestler actor, 69, was asked about Cruise's recent billion dollar box office success with Top Gun: Maverick and gave his honest opinion about his "irrelevant" peer.

"That doesn't mean s*** to me," Rourke said on Piers Morgan Uncensored. "The guy's been doing the same effing part for 35 years, ya know? I've got no respect for that."

Rourke went on to say, "I don't care about money and power. I care about when I watch Al Pacino work and Chris Walken and [Robert] De Niro's early work and Richard Harris's work and Ray Winstone's work. That’s the kind of actor I want to be like. Like Monty Clift and [Marlon] Brando back in the day. A lot of guys who tried to stretch as actors."

Morgan then asked, "You don't think Tom Cruise is a good actor?" β€” and Rourke made his stance even more clear.

"I think he's irrelevant in my world," replied Rourke, who has been filming Roman Polanski’s upcoming film The Palace.

A rep for Cruise has not yet responded to Yahoo Entertainment's request for comment.

Top Gun: Maverick, the long-awaited sequel to the 1986 original starring Cruise as a Navy pilot, came out May 27 and has raked in $1.18 billion internationally so far.

Last week, Miles Teller β€” who appeared in Maverick β€” said he's had "conversations" with "T.C." about a Top Gun 3. "It's all up to Tom," he added. "We'll see."

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Rourke calling anyone irrelevant is a Curb moment.
oy0sjHT.png

Daps

Don't expect Mickey Rourke to ever play Tom Cruise's wingman.

The Wrestler actor, 69, was asked about Cruise's recent billion dollar box office success with Top Gun: Maverick and gave his honest opinion about his "irrelevant" peer.

"That doesn't mean s*** to me," Rourke said on Piers Morgan Uncensored. "The guy's been doing the same effing part for 35 years, ya know? I've got no respect for that."

Rourke went on to say, "I don't care about money and power. I care about when I watch Al Pacino work and Chris Walken and [Robert] De Niro's early work and Richard Harris's work and Ray Winstone's work. That’s the kind of actor I want to be like. Like Monty Clift and [Marlon] Brando back in the day. A lot of guys who tried to stretch as actors."

Morgan then asked, "You don't think Tom Cruise is a good actor?" β€” and Rourke made his stance even more clear.

"I think he's irrelevant in my world," replied Rourke, who has been filming Roman Polanski’s upcoming film The Palace.

A rep for Cruise has not yet responded to Yahoo Entertainment's request for comment.

Top Gun: Maverick, the long-awaited sequel to the 1986 original starring Cruise as a Navy pilot, came out May 27 and has raked in $1.18 billion internationally so far.

Last week, Miles Teller β€” who appeared in Maverick β€” said he's had "conversations" with "T.C." about a Top Gun 3. "It's all up to Tom," he added. "We'll see."

tumblr_px9p4jNM9u1us57u5o5_r2_400.gifv

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
Tom Cruise may not be an Actor's Actor, but he Produces his films. So he is responsible for everything, from getting financial backing, to the director, to the script. He uses that knowledge to make a movie that sells and knows people will flock to it. At the end of the day, if you don't care about Money or Power, you still care about people watching your film.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Adrian Lyne is a favorite director of mine, but I had never seen 9 1/2 Weeks, and I love that style of movie, just finished it on Tuesday.

Late 80's NYC, Manhattan, love affairs. So I watched, and I was stunned by Rourke. I only knew him as a sleazeball character actor, though he was very good at that, "Get Carter" is one performance I love, besides stuff like The Wrestler.

To the point, I texted my homie that Rourke cold have had a Cruise like career, he was so good in 9 1/2 Weeks, and my boy explained what happened to his career.