Matt Cardona On Why Not Signing With AEW Was A "Blessing In Disguise"

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
In a recent interview with Casual Conversations with the Classic (via Fightful), Matt Cardona explained why ultimately not getting signed by AEW was good for his career. Below are some highlights:

Matt Cardona how Cody Rhodes put him in contact with his agent after getting released by WWE: “Cody, right away, put me in contact with his agent, gave me some great advice, but like in the wrestling business, if a producer or an agent is giving you feedback on a match, sometimes that advice doesn’t work for you,” he said. “I realized I don’t want an agent. I don’t need somebody doing my bookings. I want to be in the trenches. I want to be the guy knowing the numbers. I want to be the guy doing the negotiating. I want to be the guy in control. So Cody set me up for sure.”

On why not getting signed by AEW was a blessing in disguise: “I mean that AEW cup of coffee run, I’m grateful for, that didn’t work out at the time. I’ll admit, I was bummed out. Looking back, blessing in disguise. If I would have signed with AEW, then I’d be on f***ing Dark, right? No offense to those guys. That’s not what I want. I was already that guy in WWE, you know? Yeah. I want to be in control of my own destiny, control of my own fate, and I’m busting my fukking ass. Yeah, is the ‘Indie God’ a gimmick? Yeah, but it’s also not.”

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
He’s making more money than he did in WWE, working his own schedule :yeshrug:
Former NWA World Heavyweight Champion.

Say what you will but about it now but that’s still thee most prestigious championship in wrestling history. Know that guys like Cody & JJ love having that on their career list. Bet you HHH wish he could’ve held it once.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
He's someone like Drew Mcintyre that needed to go experience the world and if he ever decides to come back to WWE he'll realize his old self was never going to be shyt beyond a jobber that might scrape up a couple US/IC title wins.

Bonefan32

Superstar
Daps
He will always be a bum,I will never get the hype

People always wonder why he wasn't pushed more but he is a terrible wrestler,always feels like watching a actor playing a wrestler in a movie,it's not natural at all

Brian Myers>>>>>>>>>>>

• Dap
Reactions: 907

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I mean .....theres a good chance that might have happened, or not. He definetly developed himself more on the indies and GCW and he probably could have gotten heat as a sports entertainer heel (though MJF and Jericho have that corner), if he went back to WWE given Triple H's percentage with people he brought back chances are he would be in limbo...but I can also see him being an upper midcarder if he keeps the steam going with what hes doing and then comes to WWE in like a year