Brooklyn, Texas
veiny-arthur-fist-fist.gif

MicIsGod

They like what that mean
Daps
Reppin
Atl
It's not going to work because the characters were 1 dimensional,

Martin works as a comedy but how do you turn a gag like Tommy not having a job for 5 seasons or Cole getting dumber into a fully fleshed out dramatic characters?

Carlton, Uncle Phil, Will & even HIllary had comedy moments, dramatic moments, they were fully fleshed out character with layers to them
Any creative mind can do a whole lot with this. It would just not be a comedy.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
Only way I’m watching this is if it shows Martin as a schizophrenic/personality disassociation disorder patient and all of the characters he played in the show are alternate personalities, stemming from the death of his mother at a young age forcing him to raise himself.

A young Martin talking to a psychiatrist

Shoot it like how they shot “How I met your mother” with a character always off the screen and then the final reveal is that the psychiatrist is Cole :dahell:

And even that would be jokes :mjlol:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I knew you nikkas was gonna hate this, ya'll hate very damn sequel, remake or spinoff. :russ:
Part of that is the fact that the remake/sequel/spinoff has been getting spammed for close to a decade now. The other part is this
Any creative mind can do a whole lot with this. It would just not be a comedy.
The original Martin was a one trick point that strictly delivered the over-the-top Def Comedy Jam style on a national sitcom. Breh was right in making the juxtaposition to the OG Bel Air that had dramatic moments and more than one dimension.

You would almost have to separate this from the original in order to fairly like it dislike it. I'm willing to do that but most people are too attached to the original.

MicIsGod

They like what that mean
Daps
Reppin
Atl
Part of that is the fact that the remake/sequel/spinoff has been getting spammed for close to a decade now. The other part is this

The original Martin was a one trick point that strictly delivered the over-the-top Def Comedy Jam style on a national sitcom. Breh was right in making the juxtaposition to the OG Bel Air that had dramatic moments and more than one dimension.

You would almost have to separate this from the original in order to fairly like it dislike it. I'm willing to do that but most people are too attached to the original.
It will have the characters and their loose characteristics that draw back to the show most likely. Don’t see how this is hard for people to see working. There’s so much you can do with the Tommy character alone. Make Martin the narcissistic character that Pam tries to kill and his friends secretly hate. A writers room has alot to work with

Concerned Citizen

Stevie Wonder 2099
Daps
I’m gonna be contrarian and say that this could work:

Gina and Pam working at the same company and having it rough but for “whatever reason”Gina never has it as anywhere near as rough as Pam :mjpls:

Tommy struggling with unemployment going into debt to stunt then finally saying fukk it and moving weight and/or pimping :wow:

Cole’s struggle with learning disabilities and an abusive mom :mjcry:

Shenahnah getting into pure ghetto fukkery either catching a body or 2 or rolling with nikkas who do :banderas:

Dragonfly jones and his assistant showing the inequalities of capitalism and power imbalance between employers and employees :obama:

Stan being a deep deep dive into the seedy underbelly of the radio industry, payola, fukkin for spins, and the problem of stations willing to just sell the people out for a buck :lupe:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Even after the "Martin Reunion" he said he would not reboot the show. I was hoping they would and Martin and Gina would be married with kid and Pam and Cole would still be in the show with new characters and old including bringing back Shanene. But I get it, M. Ford is gone and they want to honor the show and keep it intact. Also Martin is much older, he probably doesn't want to do a grueling TV Schedule anymore. Now he can just write the jokes for the episodes with a whole new young cast. So yes this is basically "Everybody Hates Martin", lol. I think it could have potential but the young person playing Martin will have to have a lot of charisma. I can't believe we are getting a "Martin" Prequel. That show is so Legendary.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
This makes no sense to me.

Martin was a straight up COMEDY. The dramatic moments were few and far between. With Fresh Prince they had dramatic moments built into the shows DNA so there was drama to build upon for the reboot. Martin had none of that. There’s no dramatic tension to build on.
Fam, I don't even remember a dramtic moment on Martin other than the one episode where Gina was trying to get pregnant. I swear that was the only time I ever heard the studio audience go "Awwwww" the entire series.