Malazan Book of the Fallen (book series)

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
i read one. i think the word gates was in the title. anyway the time travel aspect confused me the first time i read it. i read it again and i was slightly more impressed that time. then i started reading another book and the intro was slow or confusing can't remember which and so I just gave up cause I probably started reading something else.
The first book is Gardens of the Moon, and the first part of that book, if you have no idea about the characters, the plot, etc…is probably the hardest slog I have ever had to get through in a book/series. I started/stopped the first 20 pages or so about 10 times over a couple years. It’s hard, pause, and with no investment in the characters yet, it really is a struggle to give a fukk, but once you get through it, the pay off is well worth it. The writing, character development, world building, is incredible. This series brought out more emotion in me than any other, not even close. It’s this, then Memory Sorrow & Thorne, then Wheel of Time, then Red Rising, then Farseer, then Joe Abercrombie’s/Brando Sando Cosmere stuff, lol, I am kind of a prisoner of the moment when it comes to Epic Fantasy/GrimDark stuff. I could name books/series all day that I absolutely love, and it’s usually whatever I read last. The only thing that I have read recently that I couldn’t find anything I liked about it was The Warsworn series. It was a cool concept, from the POV of a “Troll”, but it was just the same old tropes, it might as well have been told from a humans perspective, smh, I still finished it, I just couldn’t bring myself to leave a review, or seek out any other of the authors work.

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
The first book is Gardens of the Moon, and the first part of that book, if you have no idea about the characters, the plot, etc…is probably the hardest slog I have ever had to get through in a book/series. I started/stopped the first 20 pages or so about 10 times over a couple years. It’s hard, pause, and with no investment in the characters yet, it really is a struggle to give a fukk, but once you get through it, the pay off is well worth it. The writing, character development, world building, is incredible. This series brought out more emotion in me than any other, not even close. It’s this, then Memory Sorrow & Thorne, then Wheel of Time, then Red Rising, then Farseer, then Joe Abercrombie’s/Brando Sando Cosmere stuff, lol, I am kind of a prisoner of the moment when it comes to Epic Fantasy/GrimDark stuff. I could name books/series all day that I absolutely love, and it’s usually whatever I read last. The only thing that I have read recently that I couldn’t find anything I liked about it was The Warsworn series. It was a cool concept, from the POV of a “Troll”, but it was just the same old tropes, it might as well have been told from a humans perspective, smh, I still finished it, I just couldn’t bring myself to leave a review, or seek out any other of the authors work.

Have you read the name of the wind and a wise man’s fear. It’s the king killer chronicles, just a shame the author is mimicking George RR Martins release rate.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
yeah thats the one i started! and damn what a slog forreal lmao thats why i gave it a 2nd shot cause i heard the whole series was dope

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
I always here great things about this series, like they're its the greatest fantasy series of all time and it has a satisfying payoff. But i cant get into it.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Have you read the name of the wind and a wise man’s fear. It’s the king killer chronicles, just a shame the author is mimicking George RR Martins release rate.
king killer chronicles was fire until like you said the author completley crumbled under the pressure and has been putting off book 3 for ages now

i try to tell nikkas the convergences that happen in this book are some of the most chill-inducing sequences i've ever read in an adventure book period :wow: everyone had their own agenda and were ready to hand out fades, squaring up with Gods and letting their nuts hang, S+ finesses all over the place :banderas: seein mfers ascend mid-fight

hollywood doesn't have the budget to pull off a worldwide military fantasy story yet, hbo main headquarters would get burned down if they ruined it like GOT.

I always here great things about this series, like they're its the greatest fantasy series of all time and it has a satisfying payoff. But i cant get into it.
literally the first book is the hardest shyt to get through, then you're in for some piff you didn't even know could exist

the :ohhh: moments referencing book 1 happen far down the line and you'll revisit it and catch all the plays on some Decoded shyt, the authors snapped

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Breh that shyt was good as hell. IDK why I was so interested in Kvoth, but shyt was good........til the author got on bullshyt :francis:

As for the malazan books.....I recently got rid of audible, had 12 credits. So bought all 10 books in this series since it got good reviews. I may check it out soon, probably after I get done with Sanderson's Mistborn series. Im rereading/listening to them since the last one in the series released a few months ago.

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
Breh that shyt was good as hell. IDK why I was so interested in Kvoth, but shyt was good........til the author got on bullshyt :francis:

As for the malazan books.....I recently got rid of audible, had 12 credits. So bought all 10 books in this series since it got good reviews. I may check it out soon, probably after I get done with Sanderson's Mistborn series. Im rereading/listening to them since the last one in the series released a few months ago.
I love all the mistborn, they are doing a new one, too, there is speculation that it might even be like “cyberpunk” setting, which would be dope, if Brandon’s old Mormon ass can do it right. I think all of Sandersons work, that I read (I don’t like sci-fi, so none of those) has been pretty good, none of the books feel rushed, or lack in detail, even though he is putting out 2-4 heavy ass books a year at this point. I even liked the first “secret novel” he put out in January. I have the 2nd one, but the premise does not really interest me that much.

Last edited: