Mac - Shell Shocked

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Another album that came out at a funny time and when I say funny I don't mean it in a bad way, more so in a way where's it was very little time to really get into the album (in real time) because you were still bumping the other album that came out. Folks who lived in real time back can maybe attest to this: You played a regular album (if it was good) for a strong 2-4 months, many of the labels back then would release albums every 4-6 months. No Limit was dropping albums every 2 weeks, so as a consumer and a fan of NL, if an album was really banging and if it was an album from the A list artist, you would be playing that particular album for a good 1-2 months, before you moved on to another NL album.

The C-lister artist, such as a Mac, or Kane & Abel at the time, fell victim of this because, back then the exposure of artists was not like it is now. If the artists weren't on a lot of "radio" songs or just wasn't flat out cold/tight or on a cold or tight song that folks really played, you really did not know who they were. I lived in the city and barely knew of Mac, even though he was around since a kid, Kane & Abel first album was the reason why I heard of them dudes, they really weren't on a lot of projects from NL that I can recall or maybe on any songs that were heavy played with them being on it at the time where a lot of folks played, either at school, parties, parking lots etc or just talked about in general.

IF you have a time-line with albums coming out such as: Last Don (with it being P's his last album), I think Soulja Slim album came out too in that time span, I think Fiend had come out in May, Mac SS dropped in July and then you had the arrival of Snoop and he was getting on cuts and his album was to come out at the top of August, those C-lister artists that came out between the months of June - August would have somewhat got lost in the shuffle IF they didn't have a catchy song that folks played at parties, Super Sundays, etc. Most ppl are going to play the A-list artist album, when in this case was P (again I'm speaking on how it was setup back in 1998)

But as a NL fan, I skimmed through the album when I got it, and played the songs with Mystikal, which was "Watch Me" and I believe that they had another song with him on it. The lead single barely got in burn on the radio, I think I may have seen the video on "the box" a few times.
The people in the city, copped the album again I believe off the strength of it being off the tank.

I think it was a good marketing thing for P, because he sandwiched those C-list artists release dates in between A-list artists album release dates, if you really think about it from his way of thinking, Nobody really outside of NOLA, maybe Louisiana really knew who Soulja Slim, Kane & Abel, and Mac really were back in real time. I'd say maybe more knew who Slim, from a regional stance, Kane & Abel too, but from how P was looking at it, nobody really knew outside of that realm and he wanted his fans to copped those C-list artists album, so if he dropped his album first, I guess he figured whoever came behind him, his fans would copped their albums too, and then you have Snoop, who is another A-list artist to keep the fans focused on the tank. That worked.

P dropped his album, the city copped it, then Kane & Abel dropped, Mac -SS, and then Snoop came, we all copped those albums. Now playing these albums as I explained is a different element.
As a C-list artist (in real time) my attention span for your album was short vs a well known A-list or B-list artist

So that's how it was for me and my folks, we copped it because we knew who these artists were, but if they didn't have a cut off their album where it was cool to play at a party, club, Super Sunday, the lake, etc, then we were back playing the A-list artists
Time After Time was the single on that Kane & Abel album.I thought that single was pretty successful nation wide, helped that album move 750,000 units.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Time After Time was the single on that Kane & Abel album.I thought that single was pretty successful nation wide, helped that album move 750,000 units.

I don't remember that being a hit. I didn't even know they did a video back then.

I think they moved the extra units because they were around for the initial run and this was their 2nd album.

OHSNAP!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well NL was blazing hot at that time, but shortly after it fizzled out. If the exact same album (am i my brothers keeper) came out a year later, it never would have went gold

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I like Shell Shocked as a whole. There's some songs that I would do away with ("Shell Shocked" for starters). These songs still get play from me:

We Don't Love Em
Beef
Empire
The Game
Slow Ya Roll
Tank Doggs

And these were my favorites:

Be All You Can Be
Can I Ball
Money Gets...
Murda, Murda
Woo