Mac - Shell Shocked

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
R-1547220-1561452495-7964.png.jpg

Screen-Shot-2021-06-22-at-9.23.00-PM.png

Listened to this album OTW to Detroit last weekend, flawless. O'Dell, C-Los and DJ KLC laced this man

@Wacky D @You know damn well @No Hook @NO-BadAzz @JustCKing @Homeboy Runny-Ray

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I know y'all will say WW3 is where he was morphing into his own artist and his lyricism was stepped up, but this imo is his magnum opus (beats, features, lyrics)
nah world war iii was trash compared to this.

WW3 doent have the 1998 no limit filler issues.

also, the beats on WW3 may not be as good, but theyre a better fit for him than most of the shell shocked production.

shell shocked = hot album
world war 3 = classic album

iLLusoYuN_Da_Adidas_King

Psn illusoyun
Daps
Reppin
Miami Beach
WW3 doent have the 1998 no limit filler issues.

also, the beats on WW3 may not be as good, but theyre a better fit for him than most of the shell shocked production.

shell shocked = hot album
world war 3 = classic album

ww3 got plenty if spin from me.
Atleast a year straight that shyt was NOT classic.
That shyt was a 3 mic album.
Mac improved as an emcee but u said it inferior production.
Mellow song concepts.
Nothing really outstanding. some of the best beats he had were talked on THAT year bett Ed by other rappers.

I love Mac but we ain’t doing the revisionist theory here… I was there.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Mellow song concepts.
Nothing really outstanding. some of the best beats he had were talked on THAT year bett Ed by other rappers.

where does revisionist history even apply in this thread???
and i cant make out what youre trying to say in the line above the bolded.

alot of times - basement beats >>>> top dollar production
depending on the artist & vibe.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Shell Shocked was really good then, and I have fresh ears for it now. No revisionist history either. This album was also regarded as a top tier NL release.

WW3 was dope too. Probably one of the only 1999 NL releases that ended up being nice even without BBTP production. Only Carlos Stephens from BBTP had beats on there.

OHSNAP!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mellow song concepts.

:comeon:

Best spitter on No Limit. Best album on No Limit. BEST song concepts of any NL album. FOH with your bad taste

OHSNAP!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shell Shocked was really good then, and I have fresh ears for it now. No revisionist history either. This album was also regarded as a top tier NL release.

WW3 was dope too. Probably one of the only 1999 NL releases that ended up being nice even without BBTP production. Only Carlos Stephens from BBTP had beats on there.
More peeps heard SS, since it was during their heyday. Many tuned out after NL's weak early 99 releases, and started to check out CMR n co, many didn't listen to WW3 or only skimmed thru it. WW3 >>> SS (which everyone loved) in almost every way

Last edited:

Superstar
Daps
More peeps heard SS, since it was during their heyday. Many tuned out after NL's weak early 99 releases, and started to check out CMR n co, many didn't listen to WW3 or only skimmed thru it. WW3 >>> SS (which everyone loved) in every way

I was probably the only Mac Stan in school, though all my friends were NL stans since 95-96 lmao. I do agree with many of the arguments throughout this whole post.

I definitely love SS more than WW3 but I feel that WW3 was more efficient, consistent, and had more overall lyrical/conceptual depth.

What it didn’t have was the same inexplicable NL energy (probably beats by the pound) that SS had.

I always felt SS could have been trimmed down just like “give it to em raw”. I also feel, regardless of the bloat, that SS just hits harder. Less of the skillful finesse found on WW3, more of an audio sledgehammer.

Both albums feature some of my favorite songs of all time. There was definitely a period of personal growth between albums that I also loved.

If anything, I feel that the lyrics of WW3 would appeal to a more mature introspective me. The grimy fun found on “shell shocked” would appeal more to a emotional high energy me.

I still listen to “Can I Ball” daily. My favorite Mac song is “assassin nation”. His verse on “We riders” made me a Mac Stan.

SS is my favorite, of the two, but WW3 isn't far behind it. It’s like arguing between “Nevermind” or “in utero”, Illmatic or it was written”. I can’t truly say which is best, only my favorite. I did feel that the highs of SS were higher than WW3, and Shell shocked was a great exhibition and introduction to Mac. But I also feel like WW3 was a potentially greater foundation for artistic longevity.