Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
KING NASIR :wow:

I'M THE MAN NOW
full

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
The concept of this album is NOT about Slaves jumping a ship and being resurrected to save other slaves by sinking slaveships.

This had to be said loud and clear because that's the biggest misconception about this album. This album is using a less than a fourth of its length to use its narrative to serve a purpose, it's not a concept album that is abandonned halfway through. This project is a concept album that is using 3 different narratives to convey the same main idea through several narratives and points of view.

The "Slaveship arc" starts from Gold vs The Right Thing To Do and then ends with Down. This arc starts off with Drogas, a whole song written in Spanish, supposed to represent the spanish boats sending slaves to Africa. The next song, Manilla, gives background to the whole album by talking about the place of money in today's society and how it affects black people and it ends by announcing the next story arc :

Tell you tales of illegal sales by fetid boats
Swallowed by waves, the hollow graves, they'll never float
Sunken ships carried slaves, tokens to western coasts
The Manilla, explained in the outro of the song, was the currency used by some countries to trade slaves.

Gold vs The Right Thing To Do starts the story arc, after Drogas, this song is now rapped in Patois, the common language used in Jamaica, impersonating a Jamaican man talking about his ancestors, slaves, which seas ended up "swallowed by waves" until they heard a voice that told him they could breathe underwater.

Wav Files is the second longest track on the whole album and it's the biggest part of the arc, talking about the story of the "LongChains" (explained here by Lupe himself) after realizing they were still alive underwater after their boat crashed. Some of them went back to their homeland while the rest of them decided to stay to sink slaves ships in order to save other slaves before the ships hits the land to sell them.

Down is mostly a filler track but I don't mind it that much, the hook is kind of a ratchet version of "Under the Sea" and the verses are mostly a cloud rap/trap parody by using a double entendre with being "down with the crew" and down underwater, and being "from the bottom" and throwing a bunch of adlibs throughout the song. I feel like it should've been like a 2min interlude and I agree that the hook drags on for way too long, the beat switch is at the end is really cinematic and it marks a clear end of the LongChains arc so this song isn't too filler to me, just long drawn more than anything.

This album is about the plight of (black) people throughout history and their ability to "save themselves" and overcome struggle and evil. Manilla itself, while being at the start of the album, ties the past and present of black history and it's been done all throughout the album.

We are a people who have historically been on the verge of extinction
We have been at many times, under much stress
Since being brought into this country
On many, many slave ships
  • Manilla
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted
The indifference of those who should have known better
The silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most
This, has made it possible for evil to triumph."
-Selassie
  • Haile Selassie. is one of the turning points of the project to me and the start of the second point of view.
After the end of the LongChains arc, we travel in time all the way to current events. While slavery has been abolished. Haile Selassie is quoting the last King of Ethiopia, who fought against the Italian occupation. This quote is a major highlight of the concept.

Some other examples of the concept being talked about :

You should really feel good that you gave your help
Might get you into heaven, might raise your health
Might get a lot of blessings, might raise your wealth
Bet you ain't even know that you saved yourself
  • Alan Forever
And that's where you heard the shots and quickly ran outside
And saw a man and a van and a bleeding baby in his hands
Fading fast, but you knew she could survive
Did everything you could to keep this girl alive
Stabilized until the ambulance arrived
And in that moment, where you gave your help
I bet you didn't know that you saved yourself
  • Jonylah Forever
The Forever tracks are both talking about event that happened in real life and tying them to the overall concept.

Jonylah Watkins, a 6-months-old girl that got shot 6 times in 2013 lives on through Lupe's song to become a doctor and actually save a baby girl that ended up being herself.

Alan Kurdi made headlines with his picture of this dead syrian refugee that washed up on the shore. In this song, Alan lives on to be a swimmer and saves himself too by helping a kid from drowning on the beach. Alan Forever embodied the Waves concept the best : "Those who wouldn’t become slaves…instead became WAVES", by fleeing Syria, he refused to become a slave to his country's regime and found peace in the sea shore.

Both songs are a beautiful homage to those kids, and while I don't know if that was on purpose or not, Lupe made those songs polar opposites, Alan Forever is probably the most upbeat and innocent sound on the whole album if you don't know the backstory, while Jonylah is probably one of the saddest sounding songs Lupe has ever made in his whole career and peak storytelling.

The middle part of the album is mostly talking through the perspective of current events, the Forever tracks. Stronger, Sun God Sam and XO are pretty abstract meaning-wise but they mostly talk about the effects of drugs in current society, with XO talking about "depressed runaway hooked on molly who gets abducted by aliens". It probably alludes to the Ronald Reagan era called the "Crack epidemic" in the 80s where crack was heavily used in the ghetto which had an impact of crime and violence in the inner cities and mostly on black people.

The "Don't Mess Up The Children" interlude defines the Drogas concept a little bit more, Drogas is the spanish for D.R.U.G.S., which is an acronym for "Don't Ruin Us, God Said", it was used as a hook at the start of the album on Manilla. This theme probably refers to the fact that, while slavery wasn't a choice (hi Kanye), it's in the people's hands to overcome struggle in this day and age. This phrase was allegedly said by the sole survivor of the LongChains before their ship sank as explained in this IG post by Lupe.

Well every rose has its thorn, and if I could be reborn
I mean to be the king, even Jesus puts 'em on
So, Atlantic ocean motion might make you sell/sail funny
By third album I was done, you shoulda seen my face
fukk Craig, fukk rap, fukk this, fukk that
fukk your 360 deal, nikka, that shyt's wack

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
Got 'em, ship gets pulled to the bottom
By a group of men and women holdin' ropes
With large hooks on the ends specifically designed for catchin' boats
Crew in disbelief as they choke
The weight of the chains on the slaves
Pullin' down to what they think are they graves
Afraid as they sink from the surface of the sea
'Til a soft voice in the water tells them, "Breathe"
  • Gold vs. The Right Thing To Do
Wade with us
Baptize and convert to the waves with us
I tuned in to what the future holds
I could never be a slave, nikkas
They gon' have to pay me, Navy
Downloaded by the tidals like Jay-Z
  • WAV Files
Beauty is the Largest, Obstacle to Obsess, Decorate the Sergeant
Community Resistance In Progress
People Lovingly Exclaim
  • Cripple
Life's work, overseeing the Five Classics
You can accomplish anything if you survive blackness
  • Manilla
Uhh, Drunken Fist versus Praying Mantis
Was it God's plan or man mismanaged to turn New Orleans to Atlantis?
  • Quotations From Chairman Fred