Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville

wave-ocean-animated-gif-14.gif

:wow:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
What is the U symbol again? A shackle?
It's a manilla, which is the title of the 3rd song and used to be currency for slave trade. Recently, he turned them into necklaces, I think as a way of not being owned by your past and knowing your history to understand where you are going. This echoes his ig post yesterday about resurrection, giving new life to the negative to turn it into something positive. He also did a whole superfacts video on it, probably still on youtube.

The og cover has more immediate impact, but this one's growing on me. Like T&Y's cover, there's multiple ways to interpret it, depending on where you're looking.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's a manilla, which is the title of the 3rd song and used to be currency for slave trade. Recently, he turned them into necklaces, I think as a way of not being owned by your past and knowing your history to understand where you are going. This echoes his ig post yesterday about resurrection, giving new life to the negative to turn it into something positive. He also did a whole superfacts video on it, probably still on youtube.

The og cover has more immediate impact, but this one's growing on me. Like T&Y's cover, there's multiple ways to interpret it, depending on where you're looking.

:salute:

criminology

hearse initiator
Daps
Reppin
Diamonds & Wood
Chopper is seriously underrated. A classic song with verses from all types of different rappers and they all killed it in their own way.

Chopper and Gibbs’ Thuggin are are 2 of the best hip hop songs of the 2010s. Chopper is like one of the only 9 and half minute long songs I wish were longer :mindblown: