Lorne Lanning says launching on PS Plus was “devastating” for Soulstorm sales

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
THIS is the real reason homie needs to shut the fukk up. Why the fukk would you take a flat rate deal for this game if YOU thought you had multimillion unit sales potential? I'm not saying that there's not the possibility of a non favorable deal being signed anyway, but you capped your own revenue in the first place by taking a capped deal.

Church.

You signed a Bad Boy/Cash Money deal and wanna complain after the fact. :mjlol:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Releasing Day 1 is only good for the developers of F2P games or games with heavy MTX.

There's a clear reason why every MS 1P game lately follows a live service model with tons of monetization. Flight Sim, FH5, Halo Infinite, etc. Won't be surprised if Starfield and RedFall are full of monetization too.

Yeah, i 100% expect games like Fable to be multiplayer/service oriented. Its why playground is making it

homiedontplaydat

Omniversal Guardian
Supporter
Daps
I need to go back and finish this game, I was really enjoying it until Returnal came out and I never went back to it again

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They took it because they didnt have enough money to finish the game. Then the game got delayed from Jan to Feb which they state under inflated the projections due to more ps5’s being available by that time.

Honestly, if this game didn’t have the big playstation marketing push due to being free on ps plus and subsequently dropping at like 60 on metacritic i doubt even long term fans would have bought it. 100k+ sales is being very generous for a game like this

I get the bolded, but that still doesn't justify taking the deal, and then turning around later and trying to frame the deal as if it crippled the profitability if the game.

At this point, there are plenty of success stories of studios that had their faith in their work rewarded financially several times over. And Lorne Planning has been in the business long enough to be expected to be able to make the right deal.

Look at Rocket league

Apples and oranges in this case. As a multiplayer game, it was situated to be able to use the exposure from PS Plus as a way to introduce themselves to their customer base for micro transactions. It also helps that the game ended up being something people REALLY liked.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Releasing Day 1 is only good for the developers of F2P games or games with heavy MTX.

There's a clear reason why every MS 1P game lately follows a live service model with tons of monetization. Flight Sim, FH5, Halo Infinite, etc. Won't be surprised if Starfield and RedFall are full of monetization too.
Yeah, cuz those games haven’t always been live service:stopitslime:

Sony stans say the darnedest things :mjlol:

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Horrible article. He didn't say it was devastating for sales. He explained that they ran out of funds to complete the game, so they made a deal with Sony to put it on PS+ for a month, which meant they got a flat payment upfront (more than what they would have made from sales in that period) instead of a cut from each download.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, cuz those games haven’t always been live service:stopitslime:

Sony stans say the darnedest things :mjlol:

...And those games also weren't selling anyways either, so it sounds like MS found a way to sell em and therefore extract more money from y'all.

I'm so appalled, Balding Satya Nadella taking dollars from yall :wow:,
$180/yr just for Starfield in the fall* :mjlol:,
you know that shyt is focking ridikkalusss :ufdup:

*if it comes out this year

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
...And those games also weren't selling anyways either, so it sounds like MS found a way to sell em and therefore extract more money from y'all.

I'm so appalled, Balding Satya Nadella taking dollars from yall :wow:, $180/yr just for Starfield in the fall* :mjlol:, you know that shyt is focking ridikkalusss

*if it comes out this year

:russ::russ::russ::russ::russ: