Lorne Lanning says launching on PS Plus was “devastating” for Soulstorm sales

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
According to Lanning, Oddworld Inhabitants suffered from financial difficulties during Oddworld: Soulstorm’s development. The studio agreed to offer the game free for a month through PlayStation plus in exchange for an undisclosed sum. Oddworld Inhabitants negotiated the payment expecting Soulstorm to sell between 50,000 and 100,000 copies at launch. However, it ultimately moved more than 4 million units (in downloads) during the month it was free with PlayStation Plus.

downloads ≠ sales

He thinks Oddworld would have sold 4 million copies if nto offered for ‘free’ on ps plus

Last edited:

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
downloads ≠ sales

He thinks Oddworld would have sold 4 million copies if nto offered for ‘free’ on ps plus
I doubt it. If anything, Sony shoving that shyt down my eyeballs every state of play and making it free, made me down load it.

I played it for an hour or two and tossed it. :camby:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, I'mma need homie to pump the breaks hard as fukk. If we're being completely honest with ourselves, this was never going to sell four million copies if it was offered traditionally.

There wasn't much buzz for it since it's a continuation of a very long running series that wasn't known for its massive sales numbers in the first place. And when it came out, the response to it wasn't really all that positive if I remember. But fukk all that.

That's on the business analysts. They should've assessed its potential more accurately.

THIS is the real reason homie needs to shut the fukk up. Why the fukk would you take a flat rate deal for this game if YOU thought you had multimillion unit sales potential? I'm not saying that there's not the possibility of a non favorable deal being signed anyway, but you capped your own revenue in the first place by taking a capped deal.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah, I'mma need homie to pump the breaks hard as fukk. If we're being completely honest with ourselves, this was never going to sell four million copies if it was offered traditionally.

There wasn't much buzz for it since it's a continuation of a very long running series that wasn't known for its massive sales numbers in the first place. And when it came out, the response to it wasn't really all that positive if I remember. But fukk all that.

THIS is the real reason homie needs to shut the fukk up. Why the fukk would you take a flat rate deal for this game if YOU thought you had multimillion unit sales potential? I'm not saying that there's not the possibility of a non favorable deal being signed anyway, but you capped your own revenue in the first place by taking a capped deal.

They took it because they didnt have enough money to finish the game. Then the game got delayed from Jan to Feb which they state under inflated the projections due to more ps5’s being available by that time.

Honestly, if this game didn’t have the big playstation marketing push due to being free on ps plus and subsequently dropping at like 60 on metacritic i doubt even long term fans would have bought it. 100k+ sales is being very generous for a game like this

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is actually evidence that the whole Day 1 releases selling point that yall love to brag about doesn't always work out for developers lol

Exactly. The whole “player count” shyt is just a way to redirect the narrative, engagement and “finding an audience” doesn’t equate sales

Thats what we’ve all been saying. Its why sony and nintendo aren’t doing day 1 first party games on a service

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Exactly. The whole “player count” shyt is just a way to redirect the narrative, engagement and “finding an audience” doesn’t equate sales

Thats what we’ve all been saying. Its why sony and nintendo aren’t doing day 1 first party games on a service

Releasing Day 1 is only good for the developers of F2P games or games with heavy MTX.

There's a clear reason why every MS 1P game lately follows a live service model with tons of monetization. Flight Sim, FH5, Halo Infinite, etc. Won't be surprised if Starfield and RedFall are full of monetization too.