Looking for a Porsche, should I go for totaled(just light damage) and fix it up or just search on craigslist?

boxfullofjoel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Probably won't be able to get driver's insurance with a salvage title. Salvage cars are for salvage or off road use. (i.e. track days, which usually means you need a truck and trailer to get it to the track)

There might be some insurance companies willing to give you a policy with a salvage title, but good luck finding one that's good and affordagble.
You should be fine getting insurance. the process if you buy from copart for example is to repair and replace the parts keep the receipts and (VIN numbers for some parts). get a state inspections then you get a reconstructed or salvage title.

As mentioned there is sometimes lots of little parts that can add up and you can get from a junkyard.

TBH with the time and aggravation you are sometimes better off buying a high mileage example of the same car. total cost will be close and you don’t have the salvage title stigma when reselling.

Mystic

All Star
Bushed
Daps
did OP ever find a porsche???:jbhmm:
I stopped looking and I didnt even lookthst much for salvagd ones with light body damage as the only reason it's salvaged but salvaged cars are the wave. Get a 2016 for under 4K

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I stopped looking and I didnt even lookthst much for salvagd ones with light body damage as the only reason it's salvaged but salvaged cars are the wave. Get a 2016 for under 4K

That's gonna be alot of work to fix man...:francis:

WaveWhisperer

Stainless Steel
Daps
Reppin
Steel
Salvage porsches are not the wave

You gon PAY, ESPECIALLY if its a 911 and even the 996 is getting up there.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Friend of mine had a dealer license connect and used to get salvage title cars at auction to flip. Honestly it seemed like a nightmare, he did euro cars like Audi and Jag mostly but sometimes parts would take weeks/months to arrive and I witnessed him almost get into a fist fight with a mechanic who was taking too long to fix a car he bought to them. I imagine doing it with a porsche would be even more stress

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
Friend of mine had a dealer license connect and used to get salvage title cars at auction to flip. Honestly it seemed like a nightmare, he did euro cars like Audi and Jag mostly but sometimes parts would take weeks/months to arrive and I witnessed him almost get into a fist fight with a mechanic who was taking too long to fix a car he bought to them. I imagine doing it with a porsche would be even more stress
I've been there before. People who own Euro cars need to understand that if the parts aren't available in North America, occasionally they have to be made for that particular car if they aren't available in Europe(wiring harness is a good example of this). Then, once it's made, it's got to be shipped from Europe (via boat), clear customs, then shipped to the person who needs the part. Then you have to find time to install it. That's what most Euro owners need to understand if you break something that's not a common issue on a European car, you might be waiting a minute for it to get fixed.

Westbama Heartthrob

Irregular Zero
Daps
Reppin
7th District
OP, just buy a gr86/brz and call it a day

Still a great handling rwd car that cost a hell of a lot less

Ton of aftermarket options as well, so you can make it whatever you want it to be