Looking back was the jay z button up era some c00n shyt?

JordanwiththeWiz

you mad..you big mad..I’m happy..leave me alone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I don’t wear no throwback I’m 30+ give me a fresh pair of jeans and a button-up and just like that the jersey era was over. Arabs was selling them stripe button-ups at the corner store for 15 dollars with the 5 dollar white and black tees.

Collateral

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hov had a nikka in the 6th grade rocking Sean John button downs and shoes like this :pachaha:

FrreC4KaYAAYQSj.jpg

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
Deeming it c00ning is a bridge too far, but Jay definitely went through some Great Gatsby new monied class insecurity during that era…which had the unforeseen consequence of millennials like myself having albums worth of the silliest club outfit pics imaginable…the “ghetto business casual in the club” era is :russ: in retrospect

I’d throw a blazer and loosened big knot tie on with a button up to go get my fake bougie on in the club in a heartbeat

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
hov def went through some phases. he hit that "im better than "them", but "they" won't accept me" ceiling.

that was the allure of his music, for lack of better terms

I was actually thinking about it this morning. Reasonable Doubt is the glossiest, shiniest night time sit in the car hustler music ever.

you cant even label it "mafioso rap"

Like it's straight "Too Good For The Club But Im Here" music.

But then he was worth like 40 MIL (hard knock life)

there's a clear line between " thug nikka til the end. tell a friend, bytch"

and "yall nikkas acting way too tough. Get a suit and get it tapered up"

Think: "Its true how society don't want me to move into the penthouse building with spectacular views"

Now he worth like what..... 3 bil?

We watched him being what 700 dollars a day hustlers turned rappers pretend to be (6-7 figures before RD, vouched for by friend and foe alike)
to a 8 figure entrepreneur
To def jam
to the entity he is now

he hit that new struggle and rapped about it. confused and undocumented hustler territory.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Hov had a nikka in the 6th grade rocking Sean John button downs and shoes like this :pachaha:

FrreC4KaYAAYQSj.jpg
I just screamed :bryan:Ngga! Them shyts were everywhere.

6th grade? Try college senior :flabbynsick:

That era was a headache! Back when clubs still had dress codes. Nggas wasn’t tryin to rock hard bottoms with baggy jeans :scust: so you had all them hybrid Steve Madden type shyts and goin to the club it was no guarantee you’d get in. Many a night nggas would plead and Juelz to a doorman that their shoes weren’t sneakers :damn:

Collateral

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I just screamed :bryan:Ngga! Them shyts were everywhere.

6th grade? Try college senior :flabbynsick:

That era was a headache! Back when clubs still had dress codes. Nggas wasn’t tryin to rock hard bottoms with baggy jeans :scust: so you had all them hybrid Steve Madden type shyts and goin to the club it was no guarantee you’d get in. Many a night nggas would plead and Juelz to a doorman that their shoes weren’t sneakers :damn:
Lmao I never got to experience that but I could definitely see it. 20, 21, 22 year olds in cardigans and khakis because the club only allowed the “grown n sexy” types. Got nikkas rocking Sperry’s to the club and shyt lol

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps
Jay was dressing how he should've for his age and position at the time. That everyone followed his lead is their own issue :russ:

I AM glad that men are wearing a more tailored/fitted pant though. Those big ass jeans were a mess.