Looking back, how did we think watching other ppl play video games wasn't going to blow?

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Think about it.

Going back to the arcade days, if someone was wrecking shop on an arcade game, we all stood around and watched.

Same if it was 2 ppl going back and forth. And it's not bc we were all waiting for our turn to play. It was just cool seeing ppl who had mastered the game.

So it's amazing that for so many years ppl would crap on ppl watching others play games on the internet, now dudes are making millions of $ just posting videos of themselves playing games. :wow:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
yeah, and also a lot of people just aren’t able to play a lot of games, either because they physically can’t or financially can’t. It makes sense

i like watching high skilled souls videos and fighting game videos.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There was a point where I had been to enough tournaments and arcades that I knew it would blow.

But for a long time basically until like the start of the PS3 era, gaming was still consider "lame" it wasn't nerdy anymore but it was still "lame" and for kids.
But seeing the passionate of competitive gamers travel and literally live and breath competitive gaming if you stepped back and looked at the big picture you knew.

I think it's still has potential to grow with the right people behind it.
Until you can turn on the TV or whatever and see stat's and play by play breakdowns of gamers I don't think we've reached the peak.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Y'all acting like the quake era didn't exist with thresh, rix and immortal.

Same with the Starfield era.

It's always been a thing just youtube and twitch lowered the barrier for entry.

• Dap
Reactions: rdj

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
you mean "StarCraft"?
Yes, starcraft don't be a semantic fakkit because of autocomplete.

I was a professional q3 and Cs player. Revisionist history has somehow muddled the water so much that folks don't realize gaming journalism exists in its current form because of live events.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
It just wasn't feasible for me and my brother to both sink 60 plus hours into rpgs

I watched him play final fantasy 7-10. Grandia, some of the tales games etc etc...

I loved rpgs growing up, but I only played them on whatever handheld I had otherwise I was "watching" someone else play them