Looking back did Jay Z's hard knock life Volume 2 deserve 4.5 mics?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People will be like how did it get 4.5 mics and RD get 4 when RD was better?

I look at it like this. In 1996, RD wadn't really different. It didn't stand out. Yes, over time, it is accepted as classic, but here's the deal:

Vol. 2 was different it at least several of the songs were. Nothing sounded like "Hard Knock Life". By 1998, the Timbaland sound was everywhere, but "nikka What, nikka Who" was still alien. Swizz's sound was still new, so hearing "Money, Cash, Hoes" was an experience too and DMX being featured added to the hype.

There was the snowball effect of that culminated into this album from Streets Is Watching to "Money Ain't A Thang" to "Can I Get A..." (which was another song that sounded different from everything else).

There was the album cuts with "A Week Ago" featuring Too Short, "Resevoir Dogs" with The Lox", "Ride Or Die", the intro. I even like "Paper Chaser", but it feels like a Foxy Brown song featuring Jay and not the other way around.

Fabolous and Jada have attempted their own versions of this album.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
It feels like a compilation because of all the features and random production styles.

Most of the songs sound good on shuffle but I don't think its a great start to finish album listen.

Paper Chase is dope lol. One of the highlights to me.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Hell no...3.5 tops.

• The album aged like ass
  • Vol 1>>>>>
  • Probably the most commercial Jigga album in existence
  • Forgettable tracks
  • Money, Cash, Hoes, the Kapri track, and Jigga Who were the only tracks that kinda held weight over the years
Honestly, it was a get the foot in the door type of album. Basically Jay's It Was Written.

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I remember the Source getting shytted on heavily but looking now. That album had a lot of dope shyt on there.
The Intro
Hard Knock Life
Ride or Die
Reservoir Dogs
A week ago
Only song I didn't fukk with was Paper chase but otherwise it was fire Thoughts?

I love that album. I love every single song, and it is easily one of my most-played albums.

But objectively speaking, 4.5 mics was a stretch. I am old enough to remember when it came out, and most people agreed that 4.5 mics was a stretch.

It deserved a solid 4 mics, but I personally though Vol. 1 was a better album.

So as much as I love the album, I can be objective about its quality and admit it did not deserve 4.5 mics.