Listening to Redman's Dare is a Darkside in 2024

Crumple

All Star
Daps
I picked apart the noisey chorus on When I come around. It's like noisey old Ice Cube production.

Then it drops out and the beat is clean.

I don't know how they achieve that. It sounds like cars, horns, city ambience and actual jazz horns.

Wuditlook like to me always sounded like you saw a horror monster and he's like What it look liiikkeee?

Pazzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You know redman produced most of that album himself right? He said he was dusted but im curious how he goes about with producing. He used to be a dj too.

Im curious to how he produced the tonights da nite remix and the sample he used. The bassline sounds different in the car speakers/loud speakers than it does in the headphones. shyt used to make me go wtf.

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
You know redman produced most of that album himself right? He said he was dusted but im curious how he goes about with producing. He used to be a dj too.

Im curious to how he produced the tonights da nite remix and the sample he used. The bassline sounds different in the car speakers/loud speakers than it does in the headphones. shyt used to make me go wtf.

“I was on the road, on tour at a real young age and then I did one album and blacked out on the album,” he explained to HipHopDx.com. “Lyrically blacked out, but I was just there. I don’t even remember how I got it done and what studio I did it in.”

Redman suggests that this drug-fueled haze associated with that time of his life accounts for why he’s remained so hesitant to even revisit the album. He explains, “I was doing a lot of drugs on Dare Iz A Darkside … I swear, I have not played Dare Iz A Darkside damn near since I did it. Seriously! I was so lost, I was so fukked up during that album.”

Redman’s ‘Dare Iz A Darkside’ Turns 25 | Anniversary Retrospective

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This is my 2nd favorite album of his (behind his debut) and I had no idea it was received....weirdly, for lack of a better term....until I seen those takes on the internet. I never met a person in real time that didn't like it.

Fred.