Let's Talk Afro-Geopolitics: CFA Franc

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
Careful what you wish for - this is coming from someone who resents Anglo-American domination of the globe.
I believe it's inevitable. The EU seems to push the can down the road. The EU in its current form is not sustainable. Economically and politically they have used short term solutions with long term problems. LePen is not going to win and it will not be right wing populism that will bring down the Euro. It will be the various economic crises they have. How this will affect Africa I do not know. If Europe goes through an economic depression this will present an opportunity for African nations. In the other hand demand from Europe for resources will plunge which will have a negative impact resource-rich African nations.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
The UE cannot stay in its actual form. Within the 5 next years, it will either implose or lose some members.

A good start is that the UK is out. They need to get hard on the central and eastern euro countries see if they really wanna be in or out. That expansion was a mistake, happened too early and totally changed the inner dynamics of the EU, which is why the US, UK and corporations were pushing for it. And here we are.

I think it's more likely to lose members, but the thing is that big money supports the EU, since it provides a huge free market and the eurozone facilitates trade. Also poorer countries (indeed the eastern and central european ones) get a lot of money from the EU, so not sure how much they would push to get out.

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A good start is that the UK is out. They need to get hard on the central and eastern euro countries see if they really wanna be in or out. That expansion was a mistake, happened too early and totally changed the inner dynamics of the EU, which is why the US, UK and corporations were pushing for it. And here we are.

I think it's more likely to lose members, but the thing is that big money supports the EU, since it provides a huge free market and the eurozone facilitates trade. Also poorer countries (indeed the eastern and central european ones) get a lot of money from the EU, so not sure how much they would push to get out.
True, if some those crisis countries were not being backstopped by Germany they would have been fukked if they had to turn to the financial markets and the IMF. I also read about some of the transfers countries such as Poland received and how they got a lot of infrastructure as a result. They wouldn't want to be in the position Latin American, African and South Asian countries find themselves in trade issues. I suppose everything would hinge on how vindictive the Western European powers would be on countries leaving the union.

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A lot of the francophone CFA zone countries do not have the basis of a growth spurt. Senegal and Ivory Coast have the most potential in that lot and the oil producers would be better if they had leaders who knew how to leverage those resources. Pegging a currency to a hard currency like the Euro while exporting cotton and various agricultural products is a big problem. At best they could replicate the Rand Monetary Union which is backed by the SA Rand which still allows countries like Namibia, Swaziland, Lesotho to issue their currencies pegged to the Rand, the customs union also helps distribute money to those countries. The big problem is that while some countries like Senegal and CIV have larger economies they are not large enough for them to anchor 12 countries and they would probably be uneasy about a customs union arrangement.