Let's Talk About It: The film Eve's Bayou...What do you think happened?

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Wow forgot I made this thread, I wrote this shyt so terribly lol.

Still don't know what happened but its a dope film.

Guvnor

Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Amazing movie. Jurnee Smollett Should be a mega, A -list star by now. She’s a great actress:salute:
For real, I love her. She is a great talent on top of being sexy as hell and might be better actress than Halle Berry low key.

Daps
Watched this and did some digging and found this theory on a Twitter thread on it from a couple of years ago. Do what you will with the info

It's entirely plausible......

Or, Dr. Baptiste was just a womanizer and his daughter craved attention. Once she knew that he was busy sexing up all the women in Southern Louisiana, she figured the only way to get his attention was to sexualize herself.

He jumped away and slapped her when she kissed him. His reaction was one of shock and there was NO ONE in the room but those two. If he was grooming her and she finally "went for it", logic dictates he'd take advantage. He turned her down because he never viewed his daughter "that way."

Remember that Eve's Bayou...the name comes from that of a slave woman that was freed by a white master and she eventually got with him and had like 15 children after being freed. All those people are descended from that union as it's mentioned early through the narrator. Incest was already going on even if the people didn't realize it.

As for the sister? That could be Dr. Baptiste, their dad or uncles we never meet in the movie or...mental issues simply run in that family.

I think the Twitter theory has merit but I'm going Occam's Razor this time.

Guvnor

Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
It's entirely plausible......

Or, Dr. Baptiste was just a womanizer and his daughter craved attention. Once she knew that he was busy sexing up all the women in Southern Louisiana, she figured the only way to get his attention was to sexualize herself.

He jumped away and slapped her when she kissed him. His reaction was one of shock and there was NO ONE in the room but those two. If he was grooming her and she finally "went for it", logic dictates he'd take advantage. He turned her down because he never viewed his daughter "that way."

Remember that Eve's Bayou...the name comes from that of a slave woman that was freed by a white master and she eventually got with him and had like 15 children after being freed. All those people are descended from that union as it's mentioned early through the narrator. Incest was already going on even if the people didn't realize it.

As for the sister? That could be Dr. Baptiste, their dad or uncles we never meet in the movie or...mental issues simply run in that family.

I think the Twitter theory has merit but I'm going Occam's Razor this time.
How do you figure the bolded?