Let's Talk About It: The film Eve's Bayou...What do you think happened?

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
I wasn't sure if I should make this thread in The Film Room or here, but I would take the chance and make the thread here first and make one there too if I feel that is needed.

I want to start off the thread by giving praise to the director of this film Kasi Lemmons. This sista did an amazing job at telling a powerful story and I tip my hat off to her fully for helping to craft this film.

20426892.jpg

So where do I begin, last year I saw this film for the first time believe it or not just out of curiosity and one of the things about this film was that it was left up to the viewers interpretation to what really happened. So the viewer has to discern basically based on the information given what really occurred between the main characters Eve's older sister Cisely who is sent away from the family due to her behavior for a part of the film, and her father the doctor Louis Baptise who cheated on their mother and used his prestige as the small town doctor to woo over women in the town.

Now I'm not here to give a synopsis of the film, however it's clear one of two things happened based on a letter Louis left behind before he died written to his sister Mozelle (a psychic) and Cisley's account of the event in question she told her younger sister Eve before she left the family. The letter as I recall it stated that the doctor may have waited for his daughter to come down stairs to talk to him since he knew she couldn't sleep through the fight with their mother earlier that night. To make a long story short Cisley comes down stairs and tries to comfort her father but in his drunken state he realizes she is kissing him lustfully and so he slaps her to the ground and that is what destroyed their relationship and has caused her to act out during the film. In Cisley's account of the story her father basically tried to sexually abuse her hugging and kissing on her till she hit him away with her knee.

Questions:
Eve asks Cisley what happened towards the end of the film after reading the father's letter and Cisley says she doesn't know. With that said, what do you think really happened?

Also do you think Eve really killed her father or was it a coincidence and he "fell on his own sword" as the voodoo women Elzora said?

Last edited:

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
We saw the truth, Eve finally awakened her psychic talent by using it to read Cisely's mind on what really happened. She came onto her father who was drunk and tried to take advantage of him. He thought it was his wife at first but coming to from his drunken stupor realized it was his daughter and acted understandably. I can't say I wouldn't have slapped her cause he probably would say the exact same thing. That type of situation catches anybody off guard and he uncharacteristically acted off of instinct, which was to get his daughter off of his lips.

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
We saw the truth, Eve finally awakened her psychic talent by using it to read Cisely's mind on what really happened. She came onto her father who was drunk and tried to take advantage of him. He thought it was his wife at first but coming to from his drunken stupor realized it was his daughter and acted understandably. I can't say I wouldn't have slapped her cause he probably would say the exact same thing. That type of situation catches anybody off guard and he uncharacteristically acted off of instinct, which was to get his daughter off of his lips.

Nah, when Eve had that vision in the end it wasn't so clear. She asked Cisley and Cisley said she don't know what happened and they cried together.

Also do you think Eve killed her father?
The feelings were mutual but dude had to cut her off from the dikk cuz of the 'cest.
What, nah. You're just reaching breh, I doubt it.

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
My belief is still that Louis would have no reason to lie in his letter to his sister at the end, and the fact he took the time out to write that letter is in my mind him needing to set the record straight to prove his innocence.

I just watched this again last month or so and I still don’t think he did anything other than the kiss and slap