Lets Talk About How Slaves Were Made To Hide Their Intelligence As a Survival Technique

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
...and how the effects are still felt today. I watched this video the other day and it made me have one of those :ohhh: moments. Go to 23:50 :

Basicly, slaves had to suppress their intelligence to avoid the ultimate penalty: death. If a slave was thought to be too smart he or she was considered a threat by the white man. The white man NEEDED his slaves to be as ignorant as possible. As dumb as possible. As stupid as possible. As blind as possible. As unaware as possible. For the white man to remain in control of a slaves' physical, he had to gain and remain in control of their mental. This was done by denying slaves access to education. Often times if a slave was found out to be able to read or had any type of knowledge that revealed intelligence, he or she would be put to death. An intelligent black man or woman was a threat to the white mans' establishment. Also, just as importantly, slaves who were deemed "intelligent" were thought of as "sellouts" and "c00ns" BY OTHER BLACKS!!!

Fast forward to present day and this mentally of appeasing the white man by suppressing ones' own intelligence is still prevalent. Everybody knows that an intelligent black man or woman is VERY intimidating to the white man. They are very uncomfortable by a black person who shows an equal amount of intelligence (or more) than them. They are most at ease when they feel superior intellectually over a black person. They embrace dumbed down, unintelligent black people easier than an intelligent black person. This is very noticeable in the entertainment and sports world. I dont have to run down a list of examples cuz you all know what im talking about. We see it all the time. Whether its black male actors wearing dresses for roles to rappers who are REALLY intelligent and hold academic degrees (Plies, 2chainz, Lil Wayne, etc) "dumbing it down" to portray a certain stereotype of the black race. Even somebody like LeBron James became "hated" once he "bucked the system" and took the initiative to control his own destiny and going to Miami. Now, i agree LeBron could have handled that situation alot better, but still alot of people dont like when athletes(especially black athletes) show any type of intelligence and take control out of the hands of their white/j*wish "owners". This is a big reason why i think alot of white people love college athletics waaay more than the pros. Professional athletes have much more power and can demand shyt, whereas in college the athletes are more kept in check and made to do the work for "free" while the higher-ups reap all of the reward (kinda like slavery itself:mjpls:).

This "conditioning" has harmed us in a sense that intelligent black people are often ridiculed by other blacks for being intelligent. They, even to this day are often referred to as "c00ns", "uncle toms", and "sellouts" Black people seeking to get out of the hood are often labeled as a "sell out". Black people who speak and dress a certain way are often accused of "acting white". Young black youth often suppress their own intelligence to appear more "street"/"hood" and to seem more cool. Its almost like we have connected anything positive and intelligent to "whiteness". Thoughts??

WuDatWuDat

All Star
Daps
"All you seem to care about
Is gold chains and whips
We had that in abundance
Locked in them slave ships"

:ohhh: Da homie Cyclonious been on this before you homie.

Decent thread but how many white people do you know making intelligent music and getting love for it? Country music is all feely feely stuff about broken hearts and drinking, rock is all drugs and sex.. There aren't many people out here in the mainstream doing intelligent stuff in any genre apart from the homie Lupe. :lupe:

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Is gold chains and whips
We had that in abundance

Decent thread but how many white people do you know making intelligent music and getting love for it? Country music is all feely feely stuff about broken hearts and drinking, rock is all drugs and sex.. There aren't many people out here in the mainstream doing intelligent stuff in any genre apart from the homie Lupe. :lupe:

No disrespect breh, but we dont need the "but white people do it too" argument. This is about US. White people have PLENTY of positive sounds and images to counter the negative. Can blacks say the same?

WuDatWuDat

All Star
Daps
No disrespect breh, but we dont need the "but white people do it too" argument. This is about US. White people have PLENTY of positive sounds and images to counter the negative. Can blacks say the same?

I agree for the most part, but using music as an example is kind of void. Intelligent music just isn't popular anywhere..

I'm with you though, because whenever a black man or woman makes it in politics, people always say some dumb shyt and calls them a house n*****.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I agree for the most part, but using music as an example is kind of void. Intelligent music just isn't popular anywhere..

I'm with you though, because whenever a black man or woman makes it in politics, people always say some dumb shyt and calls them a house n*****.

Gotcha breh, but this thread isn't about music period. Its more about how we've been conditioned and "programmed" to correlate intelligence as a negative. Current hiphop is simply 1 example of this. Its muuuch deeper. I just cant think of any other group where being intelligent can get you ridiculed and shunned by your own community:mjcry:

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
I4L

DIE-HARD-1988.gif

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Is gold chains and whips
We had that in abundance

To be fair though, I don't think white people try to emulate rock/country stars the way black people try to emulate rappers.

True, but we do have some Clarence Thomas ass nikkas in politics who deserve it...