Let's talk about adopting from Ethiopia and Africa in general.......

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
Peep this story.....
I'll preface with I understand all orphaned kids need a home, and it's great that these people have decided to give this baby a home. I also believe we as blacks in the U.S. who have the means should also be adopting more kids like this from Africa. I've been to churches, which are primarily white and hear so much about adopting from Africa. I know it "costs" to do this, but at some point I hope to (with a wife) adopt a kid in need. Scroll down for preciousness.....

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/09/after_two_years_of_fear_and_wa.html#incart_river

This morning in Washington DC, somewhere in the middle of an 18 hour plane journey from Ethiopia to Birmingham, a customs official put a stamp on little Hanna Elizabeth Hill's crisp new passport and said, "Congratulations. You are a United States citizen."
The 8-month-old was at a loss for words (it had been a long flight, after all), but fortunately her brand new parents Mike and Ashley Hill were doing the talking. They had been waiting two years of applications, paperwork, phone calls, referrals, paperwork and two trips to the center of Africa for the moment when their daughter would be officially, irrevocably theirs.........

-39114795fa80b3d5.JPG

-bd93465d25337882.JPG

-6cdd808c08265463.JPG

thoughts?

froggle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Peep this story.....
I'll preface with I understand all orphaned kids need a home, and it's great that these people have decided to give this baby a home. I also believe we as blacks in the U.S. who have the means should also be adopting more kids like this from Africa. I've been to churches, which are primarily white and hear so much about adopting from Africa. I know it "costs" to do this, but at some point I hope to (with a wife) adopt a kid in need. Scroll down for preciousness.....

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/09/after_two_years_of_fear_and_wa.html#incart_river

This morning in Washington DC, somewhere in the middle of an 18 hour plane journey from Ethiopia to Birmingham, a customs official put a stamp on little Hanna Elizabeth Hill's crisp new passport and said, "Congratulations. You are a United States citizen."
The 8-month-old was at a loss for words (it had been a long flight, after all), but fortunately her brand new parents Mike and Ashley Hill were doing the talking. They had been waiting two years of applications, paperwork, phone calls, referrals, paperwork and two trips to the center of Africa for the moment when their daughter would be officially, irrevocably theirs.........

-39114795fa80b3d5.JPG

-bd93465d25337882.JPG

-6cdd808c08265463.JPG

thoughts?

guess blacks in America are truly at the bottom of the barrel

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
That's a cute kid. Stories like those always make me wonder though if they went through the American adoption process first before they decide to go save a lost African child.

Also, 'the 8 month old was at a lost for words' :skip:

Edit: Ahh, her reasoning

If you read our adoption story you will see that over the past year God has been leading us to Ethiopia. I have heard other people say that they did not choose Ethiopia, but Ethiopia chose them. I can totally relate to that statement. We are not adopting to enlarge our family or to have a girl but simply to glorify God by answering his call on OUR life (maybe not yours) by caring for the least of these. We both feel like if we are going to do this we want to go where the impact would be the greatest.

I saw these statistics on a blog and was really overwhelmed by them. It affirmed we are in the right place, especially the last one. We won't make a dent in the oprhan problem in Ethiopia alone, but we will in the life of that child.

• There are over six million orphans in Ethiopia
  • One out of every 20 children born alive die in their first month of life
  • One out of ten children born die before their first birthday
  • Ethiopia’s doctor to children ratio is 1 to 24,000.
  • One out of six children die before their fifth birthday
  • The median age in Ethiopia is 18
  • Per capita, Ethiopia receives less aid than any country in Africa
  • If only 7 percent of the 2 billion Christians in the world would care for a single orphan in distress, there would effectively be no more orphans.

Still leads me back to that other thought, though.

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A child in need is a child in need. I could careless about the race of the parents, just as long as the child is in a better situation than it was.

Will I ever adopt a child? I'm not sure. In all honesty when the time comes I'll decide, but I'd prefer not to.

Last edited:

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

has more to do with the adoption process to be honest...... to adopt a child in the US you would have to jump through hoops... its much much easier adopting abroad.......

Im African and If I wanted to adopt back home I could do it in a matter of weeks If I wanted to

Daps
Reppin
Latveria

Keep telling yourself that bullshyt

Kids are actually suffering from Malnutrition and are born with diseases like HIV and u really think black Americans have it the hardest

nobody at this side of the world is truly "at the bottom of the barrel"

Poh SIti Dawn

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Keep telling yourself that bullshyt

Kids are actually suffering from Malnutrition and are born with diseases like HIV and u really think black Americans have it the hardest

nobody at this side of the world is truly "at the bottom of the barrel"
Our situation as black Americans aren't comparable to those who live in Africa because our country and their countries are in 2 different categories. Our country is a 1st world country, most of theirs are 3rd world.

Black Americans have it hard for 1st world people.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Our situation as black Americans aren't comparable to those who live in Africa because our country and their countries are in 2 different categories. Our country is a 1st world country, most of theirs are 3rd world.

Black Americans have it hard for 1st world people.

I don't think we read the same post. He said black in America are the bottom of the barrel

you know he was comparing the two situations right? why else would he say that after the OP's post

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would never adopt. I'd prefer to raise my own kids who share my DNA.

Poh SIti Dawn

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't think we read the same post. He said black in America are the bottom of the barrel

you know he was comparing the two situations right? why else would he say that after the OP's post
I'm sure he was comparing Blacks to Whites in America, or at least I'd hope.
OP suggested that blacks adopt African kids because whites are doing it (for once we're biting white people!), although I don't know whether OP figures this is some sort of competition or what.

Phoenix_Knightly23

Out of TLR and into the light :blessed:
Supporter
Daps
Aww look! The white woman has her a designer baby. :stopitslime:

Looks like the "adopt a black baby" trend is still in. :upsetfavre:

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
White people care more about Africans than black folks here care about em

Bullshyt, white folks adopting black babies is not only a fukking sick accessory trend, but also the white savior complex. Save all the African children guys, they need a home. For just 20 cents a day you can give an African kid a meal. :comeon:

Whites need to stay the fukk away from black kids, adopt Chinese kids I don't give a fukk, but leave them black babies alone. Makes you think if they really cared, why not adopt or foster needy black kids in the US?