let's take it back to 99'; your 1st reactions to dr. dre's 2001

phatphuck

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
heard whats the difference like a year before and still dre a week or two before the album dropped. and another track i couldnt remember, probably forgot about dre, so i had high expectations. it certainly didnt disappoint on the first listen, like op said the sound was so crisp and clean like no other album i heard before

after a few listens tho i start picking small things out that i thought held the album back: too much hitman, housewife was already on kurupts joint, and the overall length of the album was just slightly too long

nevertheless time proved it to be another dre masterpiece. i still remember dre announcing the plans for detox just shortly after 2001 dropped and got everyone goin:ohhh:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
i walked in the living room and saw the bad intentions video and thought hell yea detox on the way
then i saw it was for the wash soundtrack :scust:

the wash sdtk wow so bad :dwillhuh:

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
I actually bought it around half a year later around the time MMLP came out
:mjpls:

Those were the first two hip-hop albums I heard, but I preferred and probably still do prefer MMLP because it is a little more concise

This album could have shaved some tracks down and it would have been a real GOAT contender, seeing as the best tracks are all incredible

IslandG

All Star
Daps
Was in Barbados. Stumbled upon it in a CD store in a mall. Didn't even know that Dre had an album coming out. My brother was there and since we were huge fans of the Chronic he copped it.

Opinions:
- Very very clean sounding. Crisp and clear
- I didn't like the pristineness of the sound; I preferred the dirty rough sound of the Chronic
- Had expected more G-Funk. 2001 sounded more modern hi-tech than retro.
- Still Dre was amazing. Just hearing the first few notes of Still Dre and I knew I was in for greatness.
- Thought the skit with Eddie Griffin was funny. Thought the "nikka with a bus pass" line was cool.
- Thought the line "can't make a hoe a housewife" funny
- Liked the song that was tribute to his brother.
- Hated the cover art. It's like they never even tried.

Summary. I mainly liked it for Still Dre. I'd put in the CD, play Still Dre, then take out the CD.

That being said, I've grown to really like the album since. Lots of classics on there

1-8-7-Skillz

Superstar
Daps
Was only 1 Year old back then :russ:
But when i heard it for the first time I noticed just how clean the production sounded, and of course was blown away by still dre, next episode etc
The thing is tho I can ALWAYS play the Original Chronic Album, it still sounds as amazing as when I heard it for the first time, the whole Atmosphere etc. I gotta take longer Breaks from 2001 every now & then, I dont know I cant really bump the Album besides still dre, next episode etc. at the Moment :yeshrug:

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought it was so clean. I remember having to run to the stereo to skip that stupid sex interlude so my mom wouldn't hear.

But yeah i remember thinking that everyone brought their A game, every single feature was a moment. I remember thinking Hitman had next. Classic album. It's weird because although it felt like a West coast album, it still felt like winter music somehow.

• Dap
Reactions: ADP

JMD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I thought it was the cleanest produced album I had heard up to that point:wow:

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Suge is such a troll :mjlol: He stole Dre's title and released a trash album called The Chronic 2000, and that's why it's called The Chronic 2001

• Dap
Reactions: JMD

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
So much gloss on the tracks that they made my speakers shine.