Let's be real, most of you only have MJ as GOAT because of his dancing & upbringing

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
He's not my GOAT, but I can see why people would rank him as one. 3.5 octave voice, gave adult calibre performances as a little kid, and has the best selling album of all time.

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
Micahel Jackson is the GOAT because he was a Child Prodigy. Everybody from Jackie Wilson to James Brown was giving Michael Jackson major props before he was 13 years old..

Michael Jackson is the GOAT because he crafted two of the greatest albums of ALL TIME (Off The Wall and Thriller) which still have MAJOR replay value ven today in 2013

Michael Jackson is the GOAT because he helped break the barriers for African AMerican artists to get their music videos played on MTV. The head of MTV rejected Michael's Billie Jean video, so the head of CBS threatened to pull EVERY video from EVERY artist on the label if they didn't run the video. MTV later went onto co-finance and produce MJ's Thriller video

Michael Jackson is the GOAT because when he purchased Little Richard's music catalog, he gave it back to him in recognition of his contributions to Pop music:myman:

Micheal Jackson is the GOAT because he owns the record for most American Music Awards (26) Most Number 1 singles by a male artist (13) and is the Most Downloaded Artist OF ALL TIME

Micheal Jackson is the GOAT because Thriller is currently the ONLY Music Video to be inducted into the National Film Registry by The Library OF Congress

Michael Jackson is the GOAT because he is the ONLY artist to have an album spawn FIVE number 1 Singles ("I Just Can't Stop Loving You", "Bad", "The Way You Make Me Feel", "Man in the Mirror" and "Dirty Diana") All five of which he wrote and co-produced

Michael Jackson is the GOAT because he owns the record for Highest Selling Album...OF ALL TIME (Thriller) and Highest Selling Double Album OF ALL TIME
AND Highest Selling Remix Album....OF ALL TIME (Blood On The Dance Floor)

“I didn’t want to leave this world without knowing who my descendant was. Thank you Michael!”

Fred Astaire (1899 –1987) – dancer

"What is a genius? What is a living legend? What is a megastar? Michael Jackson -- that's all. And when you think you know him, he gives you more. I think he is one of the finest people to hit this planet, and, in my estimation, he is the true King of Pop, Rock and Soul."

Elizabeth Taylor

"Michael Jackson is the most gifted entertainer to come down the pike since, I guess, James Dean. He's a brilliant actor and dancer, probably one of the rarest entertainers I have ever worked with. His talent is awesome.

Sidney Lumet

"The only male singer who I’ve seen besides myself and who’s better than me -- that is Michael Jackson."

Frank Sinatra

"Michael Jackson was extraordinary, When we worked together on 'Bad,' I was in awe of his absolute mastery of movement on the one hand, and of the music on the other. Every step he took was absolutely precise and fluid at the same time. It was like watching quicksilver in motion"

Martin Scorsese

“One of my greatest blessings was that I got a chance to know the Jackson family and to know Michael, and to see him. I’m glad I live in an era when I got a chance to see -- what everybody’s been coming up here saying -- the greatest entertainer of all time…”

Smokey Robinson

“I couldn’t make up my mind,” he admits. “Here’s this kid… singing a Smokey song that seemed like he had been living it for 30 years! So, right away, we were saying, ‘This is an old man in a kid’s body’ because he’d sung ‘Who’s Loving You’ better than Smokey — and Smokey did a phenomenal job.”

Berry Gordy

"When I played in London in 2007, the O ² Arena, I asked the producers what had been the record number of shows played consecutively in their venue. They said six. I said that I wanted to do twenty-one. During two weeks they refused me, nobody had ever played for so long. All concerts were nevertheless sold out. Since then, Michael Jackson showed me that I should go farther."

Prince

#TPC

No trolling, breh.

I don't respect opinions on music if you have Mike in your top 5 anything. :manny:

So what do you have to say mr. concise. :leon:

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
I've heard like 2 Michael Jackson songs and they both just seemed like generic pop trash. :yeshrug:

It's literally impossible to live in America your whole life and have had heard only two Mike Jack songs, unless you've spent all of your time inside a closet in your own house.

TallFrenchy

Paleo Girl
Daps
Reppin
North America
I don't respect opinions on music if you have Mike in your top 5 anything. :manny:
What about top 5 performers? His concerts were impressive.

Michael Jackson is the GOAT because he helped break the barriers for African AMerican artists to get their music videos played on MTV. The head of MTV rejected Michael's Billie Jean video, so the head of CBS threatened to pull EVERY video from EVERY artist on the label if they didn't run the video. MTV later went onto co-finance and produce MJ's Thriller video

:obama:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm a Prince stan, but alot of his catalogue is for an acquired taste :yeshrug:

MJ made universal anthems that reached every part of the globe :ohlawd:

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
Toured around the entire globe
Only nikka to have fan base as huge in the UK as the Beatles
sold millions upon millions of albums worldwide
#1 on billboard

This nikka done touched small children and WE STILL fukkED WITH HIS JOINTS:damn:

take the L

yo moms

drunk
Daps
still impossible...

If you have access to any type of media on a regular basis then you have heard atleast 10 of his songs in your life. It's a guarantee...

I can name 2 of his songs. And I've probably heard then once each. Thriller and billie jean? I don't know anyone thats ever listened to him. He's just known as a paedophile over here.

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
When I see artists today (both young and old) struggling to make a top 30 song, I appreciate MJ for his ability to create top 10 tracks with relative ease. Even his throwaway/unreleased songs could be hits.

You may penalize him for not playing instruments I suppose...but his song making abilities, particular his hooks game is nearly unrivaled among musicians. His hook alone on "Somebody's Watching Me" turned a ordinary song into a memorable classic:

Last edited by a moderator:

concise

Veteran
Daps
So what do you have to say mr. concise. :leon:

What I have to say is I really don't care about awards selected by some committee.
He was a child prodigy, ok.
He made lots of money, ok.
He had classic albums, ok.

His music was accessible. So? Mcdonald's has billions and billions served. I wouldn't take anyone saying their food is the GOAT seriously tho. :mjpls:

What about top 5 performers? His concerts were impressive.

He did put on the greatest Super Bowl halftime show ever. But I'm just talking about musical categories.