Les Miles and More O. The 2017 LSU season thread

O.iatlhawksfan

Devoted Joel Embiid hater
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
Good luck to you guys :salute:
Same to yu :salute:

If we're starting as many freshman as we're rumor to play specifically at QB then I think we win 9 games max. I wouldn't really be mad at that tho

So far Grant Delpit and Kary Vincent are penciled in as starters with Brennan fighting for a starting spot and Todd Harris pushing for playing time. Also two freshman in the o line will get their share of playing time Ed Ingram and Austin Delucus and CEH will push for carries. Let's not forget Jacob Phillips will get his time at LB as well

O.iatlhawksfan

Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
you gotta add me bruh :to:

but 9 wins with our defense should be doable, i think the qb change will come early and that will make the difference
My bad B but our defense is really young. Most of the freshman from last year will have their chance to shine. Players like Rishard Lawrence, Devin White and Kriston Fulton are players to look out for. Idk man this team is really young if we can have a year similar to last year then I think we're in good shape for the future.

O.iatlhawksfan

Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
For the first time since 2004, the LSU Tigers will open the season without Les Miles as their head coach. Instead, Ed Orgeron will lead the Tigers onto the field when they take on BYU at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. How Orgeron got himself there is an interesting story, and he talked to SB Nation about his journey to land the head coaching job in Baton Rouge.

Going into the job interview on Black Friday, Orgeron had a good feeling that he was the leading candidate for the position. That quickly changed after he arrived to meet with LSU Athletic Director Joe Alleva. From SB Nation:

"Me, Derek, and Austin [Thomas, LSU’s player personnel director], we thought we were gonna get offered the job that day. We had our plan, we go in, we sat at that table, and we’re ready to go. We walk in there, and ... within a minute, we knew we were in second place. We just knew it."

LSU had their eyes on the most prized free agent coach in college football — Tom Herman. Orgeron simply wanted Alleva to be upfront with him.

"He says, ‘Look, I have not made a hire, and we have not offered anyone the job.’ I told Joe, ‘You’ve always told me the truth.’ And he says, ‘But I am going to see Tom Herman tonight or tomorrow morning. I have not offered him the job yet, and you are a strong candidate. He may be first. You’re probably second.’"

Orgeron is one of the nation's best recruiters. Once he knew that he was second in line for the job at LSU, he put those skills to use. He needed to sell Alleva on himself. To do that, he called on some old friends.

"We walked out the door. We were white as ghosts, man. So you know what we did? Started competing! [He snaps his fingers again, loudly.) Kept on competing. Got calls going into Joe. Pete [Carrol] called him, Lane [Kiffin] called him, bang bang bang."

That night, Coach O went to bed thinking LSU was Tom Herman's job. Then, his phone woke him up in the middle of the night.

"My phone goes off. Text message at 1:30. It’s Lane Kiffin: ‘Herman leaving to coach Texas.’

"I looked at it, and you know what? I went right back to sleep, man."

On Nov. 26, LSU announced that Oregeron would have his interim tag removed to become the full-time head coach in the bayou. Orgeron has said that coaching at LSU was all he ever wanted to do. How he got there only helps him appreciate the opportunity more.

PART 1: THE FLORIDA LOSS
"OK. Here’s the thing after the game: I didn’t think of just that play with Derrius. I didn’t. You can’t.

"Right now, I can remember how I prepared the team. I remember all the distractions [the game was relocated from Gainesville amid Hurricane Matthew]. Before the game, we were a little too hyped. We wanted to fight, actually fight. And we end up having one before the game. Then Leonard’s not gonna play; then he is gonna play.

"It just really, really reminded me of Notre Dame vs. Miami in 1988 [Orgeron was a Hurricanes assistant]. We go out, have a fight in the tunnel, same stuff. Now, it’s not the same magnitude of that game, but the same thing happens. We’re all jacked up after a fight and then have 13 penalties.

"And we were a much better team than how we played. We had them outgained in yards, 400-something to 200-something [423-270]. But the turnovers [two fumbles] killed us."

"Next morning, I woke up. Sick. I knew we had a meeting that day. First guy I call on the phone is Derrius. I say, ‘Hey man, we still got a shot. Let’s go.’

"I knew if I was feeling this way, the team was feeling this way. So I had to coach myself up. I had to get a little bit more jacked up than I do on a Sunday. Guys come in, and I’m high-fivin’ them. Guice come in with a hood on, head down. I go up to him in front of everyone. I took that hood off, and I said, ‘I love you. Watch what happens next game.’

"And that kinda motivated me, too. I thought, we’ve still got a chance. We can still get this job."

Interesting read. Land Kiffin and Pete Carroll made a call :ehh: