LATINA ACTRESS Dania Ramirez DEFENDS using "the n" word

Theraflu

Newly-wed :blessed:
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Power
i.jpg

LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- Following Paula Deen’s admission that she has used the N-word, many in Hollywood are talking about the use of the controversial word, including “Devious Maids” star Dania Ramirez.

The Latina actress told Access Hollywood Live’s Billy Bush and Kit Hoover that she has also used the word with friends.

“I don’t see the point in allowing certain people to be able to use it and then others to not be able to use it,” she said on Tuesday’s show.

WATCH: Paula Deen Cut By Smithfield Foods

“I have used it,” she admitted. “I’ve actually worn it one time down the red carpet … it was printed on a shirt. This was back when Nas was coming out with his album, he titled it the ‘N-Word.’”

The actress explained that she hopes people begin speaking more freely about the use of the word.

WATCH: Lifetime’s Devious Maids Los Angeles Premiere

“And for me it was like, let’s put it out in the forefront,” she continued. “If it’s really uncomfortable, let’s not use it at all.”

For Dania, using the word depends on the context.

“I would say it to my friends. I have African-American friends. I don’t see a problem with it. I’ve used it talking to Spike Lee, who I worked with,” she told Billy and Kit.

Adding, “For me it’s about, if there’s really a problem with it then it shouldn’t be a part of our vocabulary, period. …Who knows, there’s always a problem with the way people use things depending on how you’re using it”

-- Jesse Spero

Devious Maids’ Dania Ramirez Talks Using The N-Word, Paula Deen Controversy

:aicmon:

:dead: at her saying Spike Lee lets her use that word with him

:wtb:

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
Lots of people don't have a problem with Latinos saying it.

Either way, Devious Maids is a pretty racist show itself showing Latinas in a one-dimensional, stereotypical way.

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
This is all water cooler philosophy and thinking out loud. You know the word is wrong to use and you know who can and can't use it and when. Dania Ramirez is not going to call Maya Angelou, Oprah Winfrey, or Nelson Mandela a nikka. People know better, I don't even see why they even want to have these types of conversations

p00rky

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Francisco/Tokyo
Where I grew up there were Tongans, Samoans, Asians and Mexicans all saying the nword. It didn't bother me. I don't like using the word myself though. Hell I heard the Polynesians say it more than the blacks lol