Late Pass: RIP Yahoo Games

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
YAHOO GAMES HAS PASSED AWAY AT JUST 17
yahoo-games.jpg

YAHOO

YAHOO GAMES, THE once-hopping online game hub best known for its simulacrum of classic board and card games, is shutting down. The news was buried amidst major changes for the company: As we reported Tuesday, Yahoo will lay off roughly 15 percent of the company, downsize across the board, and shutter many offerings, including its TV efforts.

Looking at it now, Yahoo Games is a bevy of free-to-play, branded online games, not terribly different in design or presentation from what you'd find in the free section of the App Store or Google Play. It wasn't always that way. From 1998, when Yahoo launched Yahoo Games after acquiring a site called Games Domain, until 2014, when it shut down most of the old versions of those games for technological reasons, the site was a hub for simple parlor games, set inside straightforward online applets and open to all.

That may not seem like much now, but at the time it was pioneering, a bustling portal for casual games before we called them that. The service expanded through the last decade, roping in more complex, ad-supported titles. Venture Beat reported in 2008 that the hub had more than 18 million unique visitors each month.

Its decline was inevitable as the niche it filled moved to the mobile market, and as Yahoo itself became less central to the modern internet. Now, Yahoo Games is largely forgotten, though it still holds some gems and has a small but active gaming journalism presence that reviewed X-COM 2 just three days ago.

In its heyday, though, Yahoo Games was a easily accessible, surprisingly welcoming and exceedingly popular place to play. I remember in the early 2000s seeing my mother, who hasn't touched a video game since the NES, spend hours on it, playing pick-up games of spades and befriending Internet strangers in the attached chat rooms. I used it to hone, and subsequently give up on, my chess skills. The folks on Yahoo were pretty good, so much so that it was considered, for a time, one of the best places to play chess on the Internet.

CORRECTION: This article, and its headline, originally claimed that Yahoo Games had existed for 13 years. In fact, it was acquired in 1998, and thus would have been 18 years old in March.
------------------------

I just found out today that Yahoo! Games are no more. I was bored tonight looking for something to play while I listen to Youtube then I thought I could go play some spades. I typed in Yahoo Games and this article came up. I can't believe the GOAT time killer is gone. No wonder Yahoo is going down the drain. :scusthov: I was looking forward to playing some spades and talking shyt like old times. I met a lot of online friends through Yahoo Games too. RIP to the GOAT :sadcam:

Anyone know of any alternatives?

Arcavian

Him Downstairs
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Using a piece of paper to line up that perfect shot :mjgrin:

When you get that perfect synergy with someone on Spades:wow:

When you don't achieve synergy with your partner in Spades so you just argue the whole time :heh:

I had an ex girlfriend that I used to play yahoo spades with

we never won and we would argue all the time :heh:

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
Yahoo Checkers was my game of choice as a preteen in the early 00s. Got a couple numbers and Yahoo Messenger lady friends too :mjgrin:

I still remember I was talking to this light skinned girl my age on Yahoo Messenger -- we were like 12 -- and we were chatting "dirty".....suddenly she said "hold on, my mom is behind me"......then she disappeared and I never heard from her again :mjcry:

Dreamzeedream

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yahoo Checkers was my game of choice as a preteen in the early 00s. Got a couple numbers and Yahoo Messenger lady friends too :mjgrin:

I still remember I was talking to this light skinned girl my age on Yahoo Messenger -- we were like 12 -- and we were chatting "dirty".....suddenly she said "hold on, my mom is behind me"......then she disappeared and I never heard from her again :mjcry:
Damn what you say

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
This made me think of this

http://www.pogo.com

First time I hit broads with the a/s/l?:mjgrin:

Cyber sessions wth girls all over the place.:takedat:

A few turned to long distance phone-lationships:wow:

Being young and stupid in high school was so great:blessed:

Breh...:wow:
When the hoes recognized your screenname and hit you with a "heyyyy Clutch <3"

WATTBA back then :wow:

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
Damn what you say
Some PG-13 shyt we thought was nasty back then. After confirming we were both the same age (ASL), she had a pic in her profile or something and I was getting my mack on :shaq: her mom probably saw her chatting with somebody and you couldn't confirm my age :yeshrug: I coulda been a 40 year old pervert

Bane

The Fire Rises
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The good ol' days. Yahoo Pool, Dominoes, Graffiti and Towers were my early obsessions