Ladies of the coli would you cloth diaper?

Black Barbie

AADOS Queen of the Appalachian
Daps
Reppin
cloth diapers can be economical for the right type of parent.

my only question is wouldn't using cloth diapers increase your water and electric usage since you have to do more laundry? i remember asking someone i knew was using cloth diapers on their kid and she acted like she didn't know what i was talking about. i would think doing more loads of laundry equals more water and electric usage

secondly if you send your kid to daycare many daycares will not and cannot accommodate children who wear cloth diapers. so more than likely you are going to have to buy disposal ones for the time they are at daycare unless you are a SAHM.

lastly most laundry mats do not allow people to wash cloth diapers in their machines. so while using cloth diapers may be economical especially for those that are lower income, if they can't clean them regularly then whats the point?
If you're smart about cloth diapering you can actually make it work for any economical level. From what people said their water bill was only about $5 more and from what I've read most moms are working moms and cloth diapering and will use all in ones (AIOs) for babysitters, or other people watching their kids.

As for having to use coin operated washers and dryers, you don't really have to. If you live in an apartment and your lease doesn't say anything about using a portable washer and dryer you can buy one for pretty cheap, wash them by hand (they buy a new plunger to agitate the diapers help clean them) or use a portable washer that can be used on the counter if your lease doesn't allow it.

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
If you're smart about cloth diapering you can actually make it work for any economical level. From what people said their water bill was only about $5 more and from what I've read most moms are working moms and cloth diapering and will use all in ones (AIOs) for babysitters, or other people watching their kids.

As for having to use coin operated washers and dryers, you don't really have to. If you live in an apartment and your lease doesn't say anything about using a portable washer and dryer you can buy one for pretty cheap, wash them by hand (they buy a new plunger to agitate the diapers help clean them) or use a portable washer that can be used on the counter if your lease doesn't allow it.

This sounds too good to be true. Babies go through a lot of diapers a day, make that a week and that's a lot of water for washing clothes, not to mention detergent and electricity. And not all apartments have washer and dryers in the unit, especially on lower income apartments; therefore they'd have to use the community laundry which does have rules against what can be washed. I doubt anyone wants piles of sh1tty diapers in house so then they'd have to coin laundry it somehow (cloth diapers often not allowed) or spend extra money on a cleaning device or wash by hand. That is a lot of extra work, especially for working mothers with a not so flexible schedule. I'm going to need receipts on those women who claim to be working mothers, as well as their definitions of "working mother" because it's not adding up. And the poster above is definitely right about daycare and babysitters. Many will not do cloth diapers and the ones that might will definitely charge more (not to make everything personal, but my cousin's daughter was a little behind on potty training and many daycares either wouldn't take her or were charging a lot more money).

Like I said it can work but it's going to be hard and I definitely don't believe it's too feasible for those who don't have money like that. That's extra money in modern society. You'll save on diapers but the equipment to make sure everything is sanitary such as equipment to wash it, electricity, water, labor, and childcare definitely will make it more expensive in the long run.

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
cloth diapers can be economical for the right type of parent.

my only question is wouldn't using cloth diapers increase your water and electric usage since you have to do more laundry? i remember asking someone i knew was using cloth diapers on their kid and she acted like she didn't know what i was talking about. i would think doing more loads of laundry equals more water and electric usage

secondly if you send your kid to daycare many daycares will not and cannot accommodate children who wear cloth diapers. so more than likely you are going to have to buy disposal ones for the time they are at daycare unless you are a SAHM.

lastly most laundry mats do not allow people to wash cloth diapers in their machines. so while using cloth diapers may be economical especially for those that are lower income, if they can't clean them regularly then whats the point?

Yep, it sounds good until you look at what it involves. And unless we're talking a less modern society, it's definitely not convenient for a person of lower income. Like you and I stated above, where would they wash them?Also, it's a lot of labor for someone who will be working, lower income people tend to work service jobs (who wants to come home and wash diapers) and their children tend to be in daycare, good luck finding a daycare in those areas that would allow cloth diapers. It would be more for like a stay at home mother or one who works part time and has help financially.

Amy Traphouse

Supporter
Daps
I tried cloth diapers and I'm not for having to hand wash shytty diapers or even put them in my washing machine. Its a mess.

Cloth diapers came a long way from the ones you have to pin on the sides to these cutesy ones that just snap and go but nah. Not doing it.

Black Barbie

AADOS Queen of the Appalachian
Daps
Reppin
Yep, it sounds good until you look at what it involves. And unless we're talking a less modern society, it's definitely not convenient for a person of lower income. Like you and I stated above, where would they wash them?Also, it's a lot of labor for someone who will be working, lower income people tend to work service jobs (who wants to come home and wash diapers) and their children tend to be in daycare, good luck finding a daycare in those areas that would allow cloth diapers. It would be more for like a stay at home mother or one who works part time and has help financially.
I'm basing it off of what I've seen on forums and they list every issue that you could run into cloth diapering. It's not for everyone.

tater

Superstar
Daps
They have a diaper pickup service for those that use cloth diapers. I would give it a whirl but only if this was being used. I don't want to scoop poo and have to wash shytty diapers. :scust:

Maddmike

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
man my wife had us doing that shyt for our twins...the thing that's aggravating the most about it is if they pee once, you HAVE to change immediately because the liquid doesn't get absorbed. Had me in there changing diapers every 30 minutes :why:

Yo Mama

...the sweeter the juice.
Daps
Reppin
Your dreams
Never tried them. I think im too lazy for them. Good diapers are expensive but I dont have a washing machine and am not looking to hand wash poop or hire someone to do it.

Though there are those reusable cloth diapers with a removable reusable pad thing.

Maddmike

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Never tried them. I think im too lazy for them. Good diapers are expensive but I dont have a washing machine and am not looking to hand wash poop or hire someone to do it.

Though there are those reusable cloth diapers with a removable reusable pad thing.

Kids will smell like piss trust me...

The best thing I believe is to use both...when you are lounging around use cloth and when you go somewhere use reg diapers