Ladies of the coli would you cloth diaper?

Black Barbie

AADOS Queen of the Appalachian
Daps
Reppin
I'm not pregnant or have any kids, but I've looked into cloth diapers and I think they're pretty neat and economical.

Black Barbie

Daps
Reppin
Yeah, I'd try it. I hope I have the time to try elimination communication or infant potty training. Where you don't use diapers at all but you watch for when the baby has to go and then you can either learn the signal or teach a signal for potty.
I've heard of elimination communication before, but I don't think I'd be able to do it. :sadcam:
I need to research infant potty training. :ehh:

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
Nope. I think this is some hippie nonsense. I do t know of anyone who has ever used this in modern day. Even the poor people I've come across use disposable diapers. This seems like something people without kids consider until they actually have kids, then they realize why disposable diapers were invented and are widely used.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Nope. I think this is some hippie nonsense. I do t know of anyone who has ever used this in modern day. Even the poor people I've come across use disposable diapers. This seems like something people without kids consider until they actually have kids, then they realize why disposable diapers were invented and are widely used.
We know disposable diapers are easier and faster. Which is why I said I wish I had the time to be with my kid and learn his/her signals. With most things it takes time and determination but people do it because it causes less waste and is better for the environment and cheaper moneywise, not sure about timewise. So, I guess you're right about the hippie part, I just disagree about it being nonsense. Especially, because it does work for some.

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
We know disposable diapers are easier and faster. Which is why I said I wish I had the time to be with my kid and learn his/her signals. With most things it takes time and determination but people do it because it causes less waste and is better for the environment and cheaper moneywise, not sure about timewise. So, I guess you're right about the hippie part, I just disagree about it being nonsense. Especially, because it does work for some.

I don't mean it's nonsense, I mean I think those of us without children can be unrealistic when it comes to how we'd deal with children. Kinda like those Luvs diaper commercials where when you have a baby for the first time you want all these special, expensive things, then after gaining experience you realize that you weren't being realistic and were going overboard.

It is better for the environment but it's very messy, as babies get older the worse the cleanup. I've changed plenty of diapers and the thought of cloth diapers mortified me lol. On a similar note, so do cloth pads. Just seems so unsanitary to me when I think of it in reference to what I experienced. But to each its own. You're not silly, nonsensical, or unrealistic if you choose to do either.

On a side note, this just reminded me of this girl who I use to work with who was into farming and natural living. She used to talk about one day having her own free range farm or something with her bf and friends. She used to volunteer at a farmers market on weekends. Well one day the people she volunteered for had an actual job opening on their farm to help with the animals, so she quit her job to work on a farm. She was so optimistic and happy. After a month's time she was no longer peppy about farm work, she was surprised at how much hard work it was to help run a farm. There was no calling out and even when it was freezing cold and icy out she had to be to work at 5am and work until dusk. She eventually started to alter her plans and think about was this something she really could do long term. Although i also know people who have gone into a more natural lifestyle, it's very very few people. It is a lot of work and most of us are use to modern conveniences and living modern lives makes it even more difficult. Evenyone is optimistic about something until it comes down to doing it. I feel modern conveniences get a bad rep because people often forget the real life reasons they were invented and often it's not just for comfort. But I've ranted too long and got off topic lol. Just my view

Black Barbie

Daps
Reppin
I don't mean it's nonsense, I mean I think those of us without children can be unrealistic when it comes to how we'd deal with children. Kinda like those Luvs diaper commercials where when you have a baby for the first time you want all these special, expensive things, then after gaining experience you realize that you weren't being realistic and were going overboard.

It is better for the environment but it's very messy, as babies get older the worse the cleanup. I've changed plenty of diapers and the thought of cloth diapers mortified me lol. On a similar note, so do cloth pads. Just seems so unsanitary to me when I think of it in reference to what I experienced. But to each its own. You're not silly, nonsensical, or unrealistic if you choose to do either.

On a side note, this just reminded me of this girl who I use to work with who was into farming and natural living. She used to talk about one day having her own free range farm or something with her bf and friends. She used to volunteer at a farmers market on weekends. Well one day the people she volunteered for had an actual job opening on their farm to help with the animals, so she quit her job to work on a farm. She was so optimistic and happy. After a month's time she was no longer peppy about farm work, she was surprised at how much hard work it was to help run a farm. There was no calling out and even when it was freezing cold and icy out she had to be to work at 5am and work until dusk. She eventually started to alter her plans and think about was this something she really could do long term. Although i also know people who have gone into a more natural lifestyle, it's very very few people. It is a lot of work and most of us are use to modern conveniences and living modern lives makes it even more difficult. Evenyone is optimistic about something until it comes down to doing it. I feel modern conveniences get a bad rep because people often forget the real life reasons they were invented and often it's not just for comfort. But I've ranted too long and got off topic lol. Just my view
Idt it's unrealistic. People need to have realistic standards when it comes to things like this. Your friend thought (imo) thought it was gonna be all rainbows and sunshine. I get where you're coming from, because I felt this way on the subject too. As @CinnaSlim said it takes and determination (and also @CinnaSlim according to people who CD they say once you get the hang of it, it takes as much time to put on as a disposable). As for the hippie comment I think that's a bit much because prior to 1960s disposables were a luxury and everyone pretty much cloth diapered.

I also don't think cloth pads and diapers are unsanitary, they get washed like everything else, your panties, clothes, and sheets get stained with menstrual blood get rewashed and reused. That being said I think for me personally the pros outweigh the cons for a lot of people who choose to use these.

Last edited:

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Idt it's unrealistic. People need to have realistic standards when it comes to things like this. Your friend thought (imo) thought it was gonna be all rainbows and sunshine. I get where you're coming from, because I felt this way on the subject to. As @CinnaSlim said it takes and determination (and also @CinnaSlim according to people who CD they say once you get the hang of it, it takes as much time to put on as a disposable). As for the hippie comment I think that's a bit much because prior to 1960s disposables were a luxury and everyone pretty much cloth diapered.

I also don't think cloth pads and diapers are unsanitary, they get washed like everything else, your panties, clothes, and sheets get stained with menstrual blood get rewashed and reused. That being said I think for me personally the pros outweigh the cons for a lot of people who choose to use these.
Thanks, I just meant time to watch and learn your baby's signals for elimination communication. Not cloth diapers but you're right.

Black Barbie

Daps
Reppin
Thanks, I just meant time to watch and learn your baby's signals for elimination communication. Not cloth diapers but you're right.
My bad. Yea that definitely takes time, determination, and patience. I hope one day you can try this out.

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
Idt it's unrealistic. People need to have realistic standards when it comes to things like this. Your friend thought (imo) thought it was gonna be all rainbows and sunshine. I get where you're coming from, because I felt this way on the subject too. As @CinnaSlim said it takes and determination (and also @CinnaSlim according to people who CD they say once you get the hang of it, it takes as much time to put on as a disposable). As for the hippie comment I think that's a bit much because prior to 1960s disposables were a luxury and everyone pretty much cloth diapered.

I suppose so. Maybe hippy isn't the right word but i meant people like the girl I mentioned, people who are like into nature/natural/health-obsessed. I think those things are good in moderation but some people over do it and end up like my friend. Anyways it's up to the individual I suppose. I get clots and I don't really get much mess during menses. I can't imagine having to wash out a cloth filled with clots, blood, and whatnot. But not everyone is like me so it's cool. My grandmother grew up without having pads and tampons. She told us how it was and it seemed like such a hassle. She actually wished when she was young they had pads to use (they might have existed but my grandmothers grew up in rural/country areas). Granted I bet those new cloth pads are more than likely better than what my grandmothers used.

I'm sure it's just my bias though, I'm into healthier living but I think people often romanticize natural living or whatever you wanna call it lol because like I said, they never had to actually live that way and they have options. Not to get on the men, it's kind of annoying that they don't have to think about or deal with any of this. This is like a women's burden. I doubt most men care about cloth diapers or really change them lol. And of course men don't have to worry about pads or menstrual cycles lol. Men lead such easy and simple lives smh.

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps

Hmm so no diapers at all? I'm confused lol. I'll have to look up this elimination communication.

On that note, children can be potty trained fairly early. My sister and I were a year and some months when we were potty trained, no need for diapers or anything. But all children are different so you'd have to Hobby that I suppose.

Black Barbie

Daps
Reppin
I suppose so. Maybe hippy isn't the right word but i meant people like the girl I mentioned, people who are like into nature/natural/health-obsessed. I think those things are good in moderation but some people over do it and end up like my friend. Anyways it's up to the individual I suppose. I get clots and I don't really get much mess during menses. I can't imagine having to wash out a cloth filled with clots, blood, and whatnot. But not everyone is like me so it's cool. My grandmother grew up without having pads and tampons. She told us how it was and it seemed like such a hassle. She actually wished when she was young they had pads to use (they might have existed but my grandmothers grew up in rural/country areas). Granted I bet those new cloth pads are more than likely better than what my grandmothers used.

I'm sure it's just my bias though, I'm into healthier living but I think people often romanticize natural living or whatever you wanna call it lol because like I said, they never had to actually live that way and they have options. Not to get on the men, it's kind of annoying that they don't have to think about or deal with any of this. This is like a women's burden. I doubt most men care about cloth diapers or really change them lol. And of course men don't have to worry about pads or menstrual cycles lol. Men lead such easy and simple lives smh.
I agree that people who aren't realistic with their expectations are in for a rude awakening. I think people carry over expectations of things that are now convenient to things that take a little more elbow grease and patience (I think this has been exaggerated especially since the rise of social media, people think things are very easy because someone makes it look like it in an edited video or photo). I'm not into that hollistic lifestyle, but I am always interested in learning about potential alternatives.

My grandmother never talks about anything from her youth (she grew up during the Jim Crow era), but I have heard of women using rags and even socks. Cloth pads and diapers have definitely changed from their predecessors, and I think the only way of knowing how it will turn out is if you try it for yourself (not you, but general you)

Hmm so no diapers at all? I'm confused lol. I'll have to look up this elimination communication.

On that note, children can be potty trained fairly early. My sister and I were a year and some months when we were potty trained, no need for diapers or anything. But all children are different so you'd have to Hobby that I suppose.
Yea, you use the signals given by the child so that they don't go on themselves.

Ashley Banks

All I ever wanted was the world
Daps
No. I saw a couple on YT try it and washing sh*tty diapers isn't something I want to do. Maybe if their dad is willing to do it then I'll consider it.

Daps
cloth diapers can be economical for the right type of parent.

my only question is wouldn't using cloth diapers increase your water and electric usage since you have to do more laundry? i remember asking someone i knew was using cloth diapers on their kid and she acted like she didn't know what i was talking about. i would think doing more loads of laundry equals more water and electric usage

secondly if you send your kid to daycare many daycares will not and cannot accommodate children who wear cloth diapers. so more than likely you are going to have to buy disposal ones for the time they are at daycare unless you are a SAHM.

lastly most laundry mats do not allow people to wash cloth diapers in their machines. so while using cloth diapers may be economical especially for those that are lower income, if they can't clean them regularly then whats the point?