Kids today rather be a Youtuber than astronaut

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Exactly 50 years ago today, a Saturn V rocket launched from Kennedy Space Center carrying Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins to the Moon. Four days later, Armstrong and Aldrin would land on the Moon and inspire a generation of young people to become scientists, engineers, and mathematicians.

The Apollo program's effect of inspiring America's children to pursue careers in STEM fields is one of the most powerful lasting legacies of the Moon race. Unfortunately, this effect seems to be coming to an end.

On the eve of the Apollo 11 anniversary, LEGO asked The Harris Poll to survey a total of 3,000 children in the United States, China, and the United Kingdom about their attitudes toward and knowledge of space. The results reveal that, at least for Western countries, kids today are more interested in YouTube than spaceflight.

notanastronaut-980x542.jpg

Read more American kids would much rather be YouTubers than astronauts

Sad state of affairs IMO. Youtube is really a cultural/generational phenomenon..but im not sure thats a good thing in the long run. shyt is WAYY more efficient than TV with regards to keeping eyes glued to the screen. Facebook/Youtube might be two of the biggest keys of western decline

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
one is a realistic goal the other only .05% will get to achieve
Actually, it’s probably more realistic nowadays that they’d get the chance than it was in our past. Given tech advancements and companies’ renewed focus on space...

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
I always found Ronald McNair an inspiration to me, personally. Then, when I ended up working at A&T and living in Greensboro years ago, that only made the connection a lot more close.

Nowadays, I tell people I want to record the longest saxophone solo in space, just like he set out to do on that challenger flight

I really want to, too :birdman:

Last edited: