Kenya Barris Is the Tyler Perry of the 2020’s

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
No disrespect to the brother Tyler

Heavy Handed Writing (I’ll give him half a pass cause most people are that fukking retarded)

Casting Never Adds Up/Lack of Chemistry

No Notable Camera Work/Cisnematopgrahy

Non-Existent Soundtrack

Take Issa Rae concepts and plots, the potential of Jordan Peele and suck all the air out of them and sanitize them with lame ass humor and you have Kenya Barris

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The weird thing to me is that I actually liked Blackish in the beginning and thought this dude was insightful. I always saw those heavy handed monologues from Anthony Anderson's character as corny, but I could overlook them cause I had legitimate laughs from the show. I thought Kenya was next.

But every.single.thing he's put out after that has been mid to bad. Makes me think he had some behind the scenes collaborators that don't mess with him anymore. Or the cast on Blackish was so good they could hide his weaknesses.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I liked #BlackAF but I really don't like much of his other stuff. Didn't really watch Blackish, seen maybe 3 episodes.

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
He found a niche, maybe not the best niche but it keeps him being able to get his projects off. I don’t love all his stuff but I’m not necessarily mad at him because I don’t see a lot other TV creators doing a lot of black projects. It’s hard for me to knock him when people praise 50 cent for making the same shows with families dealing drugs over and over again.

Also it’s kind of crazy that being the Tyler Perry of the 20s is considered a diss lol

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
The weird thing to me is that I actually liked Blackish in the beginning and thought this dude was insightful. I always saw those heavy handed monologues from Anthony Anderson's character as corny, but I could overlook them cause I had legitimate laughs from the show. I thought Kenya was next.

But every.single.thing he's put out after that has been mid to bad. Makes me think he had some behind the scenes collaborators that don't mess with him anymore. Or the cast on Blackish was so good they could hide his weaknesses.
this is exactly how i feel. Blackish was really good and it most likely was due to the cast. All this other stuff he does, i be rage quit most of it.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
Blackish, Grownish and Black AF were very well written and featured relevant and relatable content.

I did like "You People" from a dialogue standpoint as well.

With that being said, fuq na, he ain't Tyler Perry. He's a male version of Issa Rae if anything. Very Cali heavy handed.

Lee Daniel's is another great writer with uncomfortable scripts about gay sh!t/ in contrast to Barris interracial dialogue.

Once they stray away from that stuff, they could create Oscar worthy scripts. Jordan Peele deserves a nod as well.

Tyler Perry is beyond trash. You can tell by his scripts, he only writes sh!t for himself. It's really weird and always has gay undertones and fantasies about us lightskin niqqas even in straight content. His scripts always sound like Tyler perry vs Tyler perry vs Tyler perry, long uncomfortable pauses, repeat lines and crushing on lightskin niqqas. 🤮

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
I dunno - he's been channeling :ld: for a while now, IMO.

The 'autobiographical' mainstream hit comedy, followed by the less PG version he did with Black-ish to BlackAF, is the Seinfeld to 'Curb' transition.