Albums Kanye West - DONDA Deluxe (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Writing review has I listen

1. Jail I guess its okay for the intro, the beat is wack, dababy is wack,

2. God Breathed, too many effects on the vocals, the beat sound like some nier automata shooter level only minus musical talent, this electro pop beats
are wack

3. Grid, beat sounds identically to the last two almost, too many vocal effects, not feeling this electro synth shyt from kanye, this shyt sound like EDM, and the rapping is trash off beat, bars are too weak and song is too long for this annoying ass beat, that main lead is annoying as fukk, the synths are trash sound like reason presets

4. Hurricane, same airy ass heavy effect on vocal shyt with tired ass hi hat pattern from 2010, can tell if this lil baby or lil durk, they use the same melody on their auto tune raps on every damn beat and it don't fit with this airy ass hit, 4 duds in a row hook sound like weekend song from 2012

5. Praise God, the same choir, same airy ass snyth with the same 808, this sound like the same track playing for 20 minutes none of the beats have swing on them, where the soul yall was talking about, none of this shyt ride or slap goddamn this song is trash this is not music

6. This piano beat is trash already, my ears hurting, maybe this made to listen to Arena and that's why I get feel any of this, this shyt trash, this ain't music

I gotta stop right here, this shyt garbage, yall talking this shyt soulful, smh, yall gotta be white, just because some choir in background doesn't make some shyt soulful, ain't none of them beats got any rhythm at all

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
He got it on remote control
full

He got it on remote controoooooooooooool
full

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Snap judgment continued...

18. New Again - Synths on this remind of some late-00's Kanye or 00's Neptunes. This is cool.

19. Tell The Vision - Why have a piano like this with no beat behind it. This is weak, guess it's just an interlude though.

20. Lord I Need You - A lot of these beats got this kind of muted, relaxing, "watery" vibe to them. It's a vibe but the problem is a lot of the songs start blending together. Still a pretty good song.

21. Pure Souls - I'm kinda getting sick of the church organs tbh. I get this is a gospel album but it makes all the songs sound the same.

22. Come to Life - This sounds exactly like the last song lol. Okay now it's switching up with some nice piano. Beautiful piano actually. Still not a fan of Kanye singing but that piano damn near saves the song. Second half of the song is def better than the first half.

23. No Child Left Behind - And another drumless organ song. Give me a banger Ye.

24. Jail Pt 2 - Ok here we go with the "controversial" song. Ye got some balls putting a try hard anti-religious accused rapist on a gospel album, I'll give him that lol. He knows how to get people talking for better or worse. Like Manson himself though the move feels real try hard. Guess this is the same drumless loop as Pt 1? This song is kinda boring to me until DaBaby comes on. Not a huge fan of DaBaby but he impressed me with his verse here, he's spitting.

25. Ok Ok Pt 2 - Ye gave pt 2's to all all the songs that stood out the least to me lol. Funny I did say I wanted female vocals over this type of production and here we go with some female vocals. Not really sure if reggae fits over this techno-y beat, but I guess I like it better than pt 1.

26. Junya Pt 2 - See Ok Ok Pt 2.

27. Lord Jesus Pt 2 - Don't get mad but since it seems like Ye and Jay Elect's got the same verses as Pt 1 I'm skipping straight to the Lox. And to the surprise of no one the Lox killed it.

Overall this album has some decent songs but it's def on the bloated, overly-long side. My main problem is all the more churchy organ sounding songs blend together to me and makes the album feel like kinda lethargic. Ye probably coulda narrowed this down to a more focused, leaner, meaner 14 to 16 track album.

Now granted religious rap is not really my thing, especially for a whole album (I do love DMX's God songs and that My Bible on KDII is greatness), so maybe I'm biased. I will say it is pretty impressive that he's got mainstream fans anticipating gospel rap since that's never been a super popular style. Truthfully only Ye and maybe a few other rappers could do that. At the same time the religious stuff does blend bizarrely with his antics like posting Drake's home address, saying he's gonna be Joker in the beef or hanging out with Trump and Marilyn Manson. It's weird cuz there's glimmers of old Kanye in here but a second later you're reminded of new Kanye again.