Just took and passed the CompTIA CSA+ Exam, ask me anything.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Want to know if it actually lands you a security gig. Security+ really didn't do shyt for me

Do you have a resume tailored to security positions? If not, you need one. Emphasize the incident response aspect of your job. Leave out the service desk stuff. Change your job titles to something IR related. Add the security+ objectives to the skills portion of your resume. Make sure you lab with Wireshark, snort, and splunk. Most of the interview questions will cover PCAP analysis, IPS rules, and SIEM mgmt.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Do you have a resume tailored to security positions? If not, you need one. Emphasize the incident response aspect of your job. Leave out the service desk stuff. Change your job titles to something IR related. Add the security+ objectives to the skills portion of your resume. Make sure you lab with Wireshark, snort, and splunk. Most of the interview questions will cover PCAP analysis, IPS rules, and SIEM mgmt.
Yeah I mean I get offers but its all within the pay rate of my current desktop gig. $25-$30

Im not tryna jump unless somebody coming with that 6 month $40 per on W2

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Self explanatory, took the CSA+ Exam
pathway-cover-image-2.png

I was planning on taking the CASP exam, but saw the CSA+ and I needed to renew my certs so I said why not take this one. Still going to continue studying for the CASP though, just at a slower pace.

Its pretty close to the Sec+ exam though, less focus on memorization of facts that the Sec+ has, and more application of those concepts that you learn in Sec+. The books they have for the test are all over the place, but I posted two of them in the cert thread and if you need them and they aren't still available, let me know and I'll try to post them here for you.

That said relatively easy exam if you have experience running nmap or zenmap (focus on the commandline and what the program is actually doing) and what the varoius topics of security like organizational compliance, specific types of attacks and etc. This is a blue team or defensive security exam more than red team/offensive.

Anything you want to know I"m here to answer though
I love nmap. Pretty invaluable tool...I'll look into this cert

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Yeah I mean I get offers but its all within the pay rate of my current desktop gig. $25-$30

Im not tryna jump unless somebody coming with that 6 month $40 per on W2

I feel you (paws :dame:) but it's bigger than the rate. That security exp. will be more valuable for you down the line.

My current security role is in the range you quoted. I'm grossly underpaid. I know my co-workers are making 95k. Now I could either be mad every day or I can use this time to build a 95k skillset and recoup my loss when I dip. Not to mention since I been here recruiters been throwing 45-75 an hr jobs at me. It's all a part of the game. I did it; you can too.

Silkk

Daps
U might have to get in and work your way up

I feel you (paws :dame:) but it's bigger than the rate. That security exp. will be more valuable for you down the line.

My current security role is in the range you quoted. I'm grossly underpaid. I know my co-workers are making 95k. Now I could either be mad every day or I can use this time to build a 95k skillset and recoup my loss when I dip. Not to mention since I been here recruiters been throwing 45-75 an hr jobs at me. It's all a part of the game. I did it; you can too.

Yeah I know, Im just not ready to leave my current position cause of all the perks. No clocking in/out, Out every day at 4, No weekends, Free phone/laptop, Cool ass manager

Plus I may have a part time SOC analyst position lined up to where I wouldn't have to leave

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Also do you have like a cheat sheet that you used to study............... I know with CEH we had an cheat sheet with all the information on a couple of pages so it was easier to study
Nah no cheat sheet. I just study the entirety of the material and the exam objectives. If you have a good knowledge of what is going on you can make the neccessary inferences or use the process of elimination to get the right answers on the actual test

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Want to know if it actually lands you a security gig. Security+ really didn't do shyt for me
I'm not neccessarily using it to get a Sec gig, I'm in the DoD system I have to keep my certs up to date to stay qualified for my positions, it was either take the CASP or the CSA or retake the Sec, didn't feel like doing the CEs at the time. Like I said I was initially looking at the CASP but took the CSA and I'll probably take the CASP at a later date.

Other cat gave you some good advice though, get your skill level up. Only white people can get by with the title game in IT, if you are black, at least in the Southeast, you have to have the skills and experience.

thewarrior05

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah no cheat sheet. I just study the entirety of the material and the exam objectives. If you have a good knowledge of what is going on you can make the neccessary inferences or use the process of elimination to get the right answers on the actual test
oh you gave me the whole book thank so much man.............. yo your a real dude for dropping info bruh bruh CSA+ here I come

Silkk

Daps
Do I need to run these in linux?

thewarrior05

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can you give example of the questions they ask in interviews

thewarrior05

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:gucci: The CEH is a mid level cert. You should know this already, but I'll look out cause you my people... (:patrice:)

Google security analyst/security engineer interview questions.

What is your current position? How much exp do you have?
I studied my off but after I took a break cause I studied a year for that man so I had to chill lol but now im going to get the CSA in october latest November..... Dont kill me bruh