Just how much of HBCUs are FBA?

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Both from a faculty and student standpoint.

Every now and then I'd see a comment about most students aren't even FBA. They have an immigrant background or they're not even black altogether.

Politicians from both sides always bring up HBCU funding as a way to say they're doing something for the black community. But if most of us aren't even going there what good is it?

Jcotton1

All Star
Bushed
Daps
I'm FBA and it was a mix at my HBCU . I kept it local ie FBA they didn't like that but I didn't care. I stayed locked in nor I didn't clown the home turf cause we had visitors on an academic journey vacation . I will always defend and support home turf.

Last edited:

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
Most black people with a degree went to an HBCU, so of course it benefits us directly. I went to two HBCUs in Baltimore and Houston. Everyone I knew was FBA. It was more common to meet black people from New York than from outside the county.
Edit:

@chromeracer4

HBCUs are responsible for 22% of current bachelor’s degrees granted to African Americans.

Last edited:

YaThreadFloppedB!

The Patron Saint of Threads
Daps
Reppin
The Bushes
I’m FBA and attend HU… the real HU (Howard). Last semester I prolly seen 1 white and brown latino/a student on campus the whole semester. They would stick out. One of my boys is from Bangladesh he definitely stick out :laugh:

Last semester in my Microbiology lecture there was over 100 students and everyone was black. In my particular micro lab section there was prolly 20 students, majority FBA and about 5 others (african).

EDIT: I’m not down playing the presence of Africans or Caribbeans on camp, there are a significant amount but I will say FBAs are the majority.

Last edited:

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
It depends on the HBCU. HBCUs like Howard and Morehouse attract a lot of non FBAs. Basically the well known HBCUs attract non FBAs while others like North Carolina A & T are mostly FBA.

invalid

Banned
Daps
I financially support a small HBCU in Mississippi that got its start with the help of some older family members. Of course, full time enrollment is black students. However, local white residents attend classes at night.

The local black residents do not.

HBCUs have to keep their lights on and the truth of the matter, I don’t care who attends an HBCU, as long as they are able to do just that. We’ve already had enough HBCUs close because of dismal black enrollment.

Integration has diluted the enrollment pool of HBCUs, diverting many black students to PWIs. If we can fill those seats with Caribbean and African students, in addition to faculty, I’m happy to see it. It also gives HBCUs a global perspective.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Those foreign students are paying good money to be there, they have no student loans.
That foreign money helps the institute, same as White colleges make ridiculous amounts off foreign students. But if you dont want them and prefer only your own its still fine, but let them foreign students know in advance they are unwelcome and they'll try elsewhere.

Do most Black American college students attend HBCU's or theyre equally at the White ones?

RareHunter

All Star
Daps
Honestly when I was going to school, I rarely if ever saw an AA. I was basically the only one. It was how I learned I was “different”. It wasn’t bad per se, just different. It was when I realized my ppl are smh worthy. The race mixing agenda is heavy. Now whites/hispanics are attending.

Luken

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto/ Jersey / ATL / LA / Panoramic Roofs
i recently applied to some HBCUs as a mature international student for shyts and giggles and they were more than willing to enroll me.

might attend one to see whats good if i can get a grant or bursary or something.

dr. pill biden

All Star
Daps
i went to an HBCU 10 yrs ago and like at least 85% was FBA. then the rest were kids of immigrants and you had a random affirmative action white person on the tennis team or whatever here and there

i havent been to homecoming in a few years cuz of covid and work so i dont know about now but i hope that hasn’t changed

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
i recently applied to some HBCUs as a mature international student for shyts and giggles and they were more than willing to enroll me.

might attend one to see whats good if i can get a grant or bursary or something.
Maaaan you ain’t slick. You trying to go down there on some van wilder shyt. :russ:

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I assume most. I don't think yall really understand outside of NYC, Boston, Connecticut, New Jersey, Florida and Houston black immigrants are damn near non existent.
Add the DC region, especially Northern Virginia. Immigrants of all sorts, not just black.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Both from a faculty and student standpoint.

Every now and then I'd see a comment about most students aren't even FBA. They have an immigrant background or they're not even black altogether.

Politicians from both sides always bring up HBCU funding as a way to say they're doing something for the black community. But if most of us aren't even going there what good is it?

We ain't got that problem at FAMU