Just about every elite emcee's roots can be traced back to Rakim/Kane/G rap

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
Real Spit.... excluding Westcoast cats like Snoop/Pac/Cube etc ...those guys had their own unique style IMO.... and a select few others.

Ice Cube was heavily influenced by Chuck D and :krs: in his early work.

Snoop is Slick Rick's long lost son.

Ian1362

david ruffin in the flesh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
Nas and Black Thought belong under the G Rap branch, not the Rakim branch.

Nas stans G Rap as a huge influence all the time, content wise the link is obvious, and Black Thought has busted out Men At Work repeatedly in concert.

Even listening to both its pretty obvious IMO.

Well, when me and Pun first met it was in one of [Fat] Joes clothing stores in the Bronx. And he basically got down on [one] knee and shyt and kissed the ring.

I mean, I was just, I cant even describe it. That was ill that he displayed that much honor and respect. Thats why I always had a lot of love for Pun. He was a real thorough dude and he kept it that way.

Tom

Banned
Daps
Reppin
They see me trolling, they hating.....
Nas and Black Thought belong under the G Rap branch, not the Rakim branch.

Nas stans G Rap as a huge influence all the time, content wise the link is obvious, and Black Thought has busted out Men At Work repeatedly in concert.

Even listening to both its pretty obvious IMO.

Thought maybe....Nas got some G rap elements but overall he's leaning more towards Ra...

the only reason why he don't big up Ra as much as he used to is because Ra kinda shytted on him after he made that dedication song, which was retarded on Ra's part imo, nikka is giving u praise, be happy and stfu

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I don't really see KRS's influence on alot of emcees today. He had his own unique unorthodox flow.

If we're talking about strictly substance wise then yeah, I can definitely see KRS's influence on cats like Nas, Kweli, Lupe, Native Tongues, Dead Prez, Mos def, Common etc.... KRS is thee original Teacha emcee. When I think of the term "conscious emcee" KRS is usually the first image that pops into my mind.

I think KRS and Pac are similar in the sense that they both didn't have complicated rhyme schemes but they were able convey a large range of emotion and substance in their music. Sometimes WHAT you say is more important than how FANCY you put words together.

:ohhh:
KRS one conceptually invented intelligent street raps. Its undeniable, friend.