Just about every elite emcee's roots can be traced back to Rakim/Kane/G rap

Tom

Banned
Daps
Reppin
They see me trolling, they hating.....
Real Spit.... excluding Westcoast cats like Snoop/Pac/Cube etc ...those guys had their own unique style IMO.... and a select few others.

-Big Daddy Kane
birthed the swagga/flamboyant rap styles of cats like Biggie, Jay Z, Lord Finesse, Big L, Mase or Camron....hell I'll even throw Wayne in there because he jacked Jay Z's style around 2003 anyway and blew up.

-Rakim birthed the style of nikkas like Nas, Black Thought, Tragedy Khadafi, Raekwon & Wu, Lupe fiascos, J coles... etc.

-Without Kool G rap there would be no super lyrical cats with crazy delivery like Pun, Kendrick Lamar, Spice 1, Eminem etc

Agree?

HIGHQuality

The Pig Is King
Daps
Reppin
Murder Mitten
I would say Pac was just an East Coast artist who repped the west coast. You could hear it in his delivery. I mean that life doesn't leave you. Pac sounded like an East Coast to me. If you had gave him some beats from Ski or something back then it would be obvious imo.

Tom

Banned
Daps
Reppin
You forgot KRS-ONE

I don't really see KRS's influence on alot of emcees today. He had his own unique unorthodox flow.

If we're talking about strictly substance wise then yeah, I can definitely see KRS's influence on cats like Nas, Kweli, Lupe, Native Tongues, Dead Prez, Mos def, Common etc.... KRS is thee original Teacha emcee. When I think of the term "conscious emcee" KRS is usually the first image that pops into my mind.

I think KRS and Pac are similar in the sense that they both didn't have complicated rhyme schemes but they were able convey a large range of emotion and substance in their music. Sometimes WHAT you say is more important than how FANCY you put words together.

:ohhh:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I don't really see KRS's influence on alot of emcees today. He had his own unique unorthodox flow.

If we're talking about strictly substance wise then yeah, I can definitely see KRS's influence on cats like Nas, Kweli, Lupe, Native Tongues, Dead Prez, Mos def, Common etc.... KRS is thee original Teacha emcee. When I think of the term "conscious emcee" KRS is usually the first image that pops into my mind.

I think KRS and Pac are similar in the sense that they both didn't have complicated rhyme schemes but they were able convey a large range of emotion and substance in their music. Sometimes WHAT you say is more important than how FANCY you put words together.

:ohhh:

EXACTLY:ohlawd:

Tom

Banned
Daps
Reppin
what about buddens?

I think Buddens probably falls somewhere between the Kane and Rakim category.....he can be very braggadocio but at the same time he often times drops that introspective shyt like the Mood Muzik series

Black Cloud is :to:

:thumbsup:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXpkqQZfkHw"]Joe Budden - Black Cloud - YouTube[/ame]

TheMrHyde

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Same concept as this video, but with 6 rappers instead of just 3

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dap
Reactions: Tom

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
Same concept as this video, but with 6 rappers instead of just 3

The Hip Hop Lineage Tree
hmm.. interesting

yeah u have to throw Scarface in there

Pac, Dmx.... even Joe Budden can be traced back to Scarface

u can say Face is the Godfather of Mood Music the way he expressed his feelings on tracks

[ame]http://youtu.be/gxxT4uuVtMI[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/KutXyPEEbQs[/ame]

Tom

Banned
Daps
Reppin
hmm.. interesting

yeah u have to throw Scarface in there

Pac, Dmx.... even Joe Budden can be traced back to Scarface

u can say Face is the Godfather of Mood Music the way he expressed his feelings on tracks

Scarface - Diary Of A Madman - YouTube

Geto Boys - My Mind Playing Tricks On Me - YouTube

Yeah, I guess ur right about 2pac, Pac just don't fit into the 3 cats I mentioned. (Although he possessed some elements of all 3) Cats like Beanie Sigel, Cube and Styles P would fall into the Scarface category also.

and judging by dudes flow chart I guess Snoop would probably fall into Slick Rick's category also