Jury Duty tomorrow what should I expect?

GotEmShook

#ChiefsNation #BeRoyal
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO
Welp...Shouldnt be too bad. I still get paid at my job, don't have to use any PTO and I get paid for jury duty....Sounds like a win to me:manny:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I doing my duty as an American citizen tomorrow.
Mostly because I couldn't get out of it.
I have made excuses before to get out of it, can't escape this time.
Tell me what to expect brehs.
Do I get paid for my time or nah?
You get paid for your time.

In the beginning, there will be a person who describes the process to everyone or you might watch a video describing what jury duty is about.
Then, you wait. There will be court cases in the morning and in the afternoon. No one knows ahead of time if defendants want a trial by jury. You can have all defendants request a trial by judge. Or you can have all defendants request trial by jury. When a defendant request a trial by jury, a person comes into the jury waiting room and rounds up a bunch of people. Then, they are questioned by both lawyers to see if that person can be a juror. If both approve, you are selected to serve on that jury. If not, you head back to the waiting room.
When the docket is clear of any trials where a defendant might request a jury trial, someone comes in and tells everyone that you can leave. Pick up your check from whatever location. That's it. You go home. Usually the waiting room will be packed in the beginning. If the number of possible jury trials is slim in the afternoon docket, they might release some people to go home early.

Regarding lunch, you have to bring your own money and buy it yourself. The courts have a lunch break. Judges and lawyers gotta eat too. The people in the jury can leave for lunch, but you need to be back in time so don't go on a 30 mile trip to find your favorite Taco Bell. You can't just leave the waiting room. You're in jury jail, kind of. They'll have water fountains and vending machines. Bring coin change and/or dollar bills.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
You get paid for your time.

In the beginning, there will be a person who describes the process to everyone or you might watch a video describing what jury duty is about.
Then, you wait. There will be court cases in the morning and in the afternoon. No one knows ahead of time if defendants want a trial by jury. You can have all defendants request a trial by judge. Or you can have all defendants request trial by jury. When a defendant request a trial by jury, a person comes into the jury waiting room and rounds up a bunch of people. Then, they are questioned by both lawyers to see if that person can be a juror. If both approve, you are selected to serve on that jury. If not, you head back to the waiting room.
When the docket is clear of any trials where a defendant might request a jury trial, someone comes in and tells everyone that you can leave. Pick up your check from whatever location. That's it. You go home. Usually the waiting room will be packed in the beginning. If the number of possible jury trials is slim in the afternoon docket, they might release some people to go home early.

Regarding lunch, you have to bring your own money and buy it yourself. The courts have a lunch break. Judges and lawyers gotta eat too. The people in the jury can leave for lunch, but you need to be back in time so don't go on a 30 mile trip to find your favorite Taco Bell. You can't just leave the waiting room. You're in jury jail, kind of. They'll have water fountains and vending machines. Bring coin change and/or dollar bills.

:salute: for detailed info.

Scust, tomorrow is going to be the worst. :scust:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
for detailed info.
Scust, tomorrow is going to be the worst.
Boring, but not the worst.
Bring a book or magazine. I didn't. I was looking around the jury waiting room and people who brought a book or magazine weren't bored to death. Hours and hours of waiting.

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I Was Picked To Be On A Jury Once, I Dunno Wy People Bash Jury Duty I Had A Good Experiance

You Get Excused From Work, You Get Paid For It, There Were Times Someone Involved In The Case Didn't Show Up And We Literally Sat Down And The Judged Said We Were Excused For The Day, shyt Happened Like 2-3 Times, Got Out At 11am

They Only Paid For Our Lunch 1 Day, I Think That Was The Day Of Deliberation, They Asked What We Wanted And They Went And Got It

All The Other Days We Had Lunch Breaks And Bought Our Own Food

I Did Over 2 Weeks And They Told Me I Wouldn't Be Called Again For Another 10 Years

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
They Asked What We Wanted And They Went And Got It
2562776574b445f7cd2a.jpg

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
You get paid but be ready to be there all day. Bring something to read.
isn't that only if you are selected? i went a few years ago, didn't even get called and didn't receive any pay.

and yeah op, bring something to distract yourself, cause you're there all day.

flea

Legend
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
I Was Picked To Be On A Jury Once, I Dunno Wy People Bash Jury Duty I Had A Good Experiance

You Get Excused From Work, You Get Paid For It, There Were Times Someone Involved In The Case Didn't Show Up And We Literally Sat Down And The Judged Said We Were Excused For The Day, shyt Happened Like 2-3 Times, Got Out At 11am

They Only Paid For Our Lunch 1 Day, I Think That Was The Day Of Deliberation, They Asked What We Wanted And They Went And Got It

All The Other Days We Had Lunch Breaks And Bought Our Own Food

I Did Over 2 Weeks And They Told Me I Wouldn't Be Called Again For Another 10 Years
You actually got picked though. When I went i sat for 8 hours to be told I wouldn't be selected. shyt was boring as fukk. They sent a letter to go again couple months back and I sky hooked it in the trash can

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Opinionated black man = Dismissed
I just had JD yesterday here in Dallas and i didn't even get called because my # was too damn high(3359). My little sister was picked and it was her very 1st time having JD, she suffers from social anxiety and they picked het because they felt she was easily swayed. My mom got her out of it but it goes to show how dirty the judicial system really is, they look for weaker jurors because that means they don't have to work as hard to work as hard proving their case. On a jury of 12 she was the only black person and her pool was filled with black people, the trial was a black man accused of assault with a deadly weapon.

Amphibious

Land, water, wherever.
Daps
You have to bring change for the vending machines.

Wrong. Court houses have cafeterias. Also, for OP: You'll just be sitting around the first 1-3 days waiting to be called. You'll have your chance to talk, just tell them you aren't mentally fit for a trial if you don't want to do the thang. They don't want anyone who doesn't want to be there. Come in smelling like marijuana if you want a direct and quick deterrent from being picked :manny:

I got picked the only time I went; I was like "I don't wanna be here :manny:" and they let me go. Thanks for being honest :salute:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Wrong. Court houses have cafeterias. Also, for OP: You'll just be sitting around the first 1-3 days waiting to be called. You'll have your chance to talk, just tell them you aren't mentally fit for a trial if you don't want to do the thang. They don't want anyone who doesn't want to be there. Come in smelling like marijuana if you want a direct and quick deterrent from being picked :manny:

I got picked the only time I went; I was like "I don't wanna be here :manny:" and they let me go. Thanks for being honest :salute:

:dahell: 1-3 days??

Amphibious

Land, water, wherever.
Daps
:dahell: 1-3 days??

First day I went was just to sign in the pool and be picked. I was picked for a case and then we were let out at like 1:30 PM because they weren't ready to pick jurors. Then the second day we were in the court room being "picked." But it lasted until day 3. End of Day 3 is when I was chosen :snoop: So I was just like "I aint trying to be here :manny:" and they let me go. I got paid minimal amounts but at the time I was in school :salute: