Jordan Peele-esque mini series “Them”

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
This shyt turns white people on :camby:

Sounds like a CAC wrote this review... Like we just suppose to forget they actually did most of the shyt in the show to Black folk irl?.... :mjpls:

If anything I would imagine this show making white people uncomfortable moreso than black folk

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
Rubbish. Complete rip-off of the US/Peele branding without a scintilla of the nuance to say anything enlightening/insightful on race in modernity or yesteryear. Literally a show framed around “how much fukked up stuff can we actually show happening to black people and get away with it :jbhmm:?” I watched the first two episodes and I could already tell this was a show rife with foibles.

Before someone quotes me and says, “Oh, we need these reminders to know what we went through.” Well, I contend solely if the means justify the end. If and only if the dialectic created by the show actually has something thought provoking to say in regard to race, modernity, etc. Moreover, YOU might need that reminder, but a lot of us don’t. I’m a sociologist that specializes in race relations and social inequality. Hopefully, the fates will allow me to get into a PhD program next year. I need no such reminder of the barbarity of white people displayed in such a visceral manner — whereas a contingent of black brethren are absolutely disgusted with the shows mere existence. Naw, I’m good.

Lastly, imagery is important, iconography is important in regard to our interaction with the world and the symbols we ascribe to things consciously and unconsciously. Example, even with the bevy of films that deal with the Holocaust how many of them are exceptionally violent depictions? There’s the seminal work Schindler’s List (i.e., exceptionally graphic portrayal). Then you have movies like The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas, Jojo Rabbit, etc. Inasmuch, that speak more to the lost humanity of the circumstance opposed to outright portrayals of wanton violence. Hell, I watched one Holocaust movie recently and there was literally no visual enactments of violence against Jewish persons. It’s called Operation Finale. The problem is we get a “Schindler’s List” depiction of the African-American plight extremely frequently. Be mindful and cognizant of the media you consume. Like I said, iconography is extremely important to one’s psychological makeup and orientation to the world around you.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
I’m torn. On one hand I do think the world needs to be exposed to the horrors of white racism. People gloss over the shyt they did to us far too much. I remember people online saying they didn’t even know about Tulsa, Oklahoma until they saw that scene on HBO’s Watchmen.

White depravity needs to be exposed so they can’t hide in historical obscurity.
So I do think there needs to be a portrayal. But it should be framed within the context of blacks literally fukking these people up. Brutally. In retaliation. I’m talking Martyrs type shyt. We need to feel just as comfortable seeing violence depicted towards white oppression as we see the reverse.

Which is why I’m still waiting on a movie about the Haitian Revolution.
Haitian_Revolution_-_Black_slaves_killing_white_slavers.jpg
revenge.jpg

200px-Manuel_Lopez_Lopez_Iodibo_-_Desalines_-_Huyes_del_valor_frances%2C_pero_matando_blancos.jpg

haitian-revolution-insurrection-1791-science-source.jpg

What’s good Hollywood?

Also, the other issue is black stories are too monolithic. All of our depictions can’t just be about suffering. More Afro-speculative fiction as well.

TallMan_J

Retired from TheColi
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Retired
I don't even know what this is?

I enjoyed Birth of a Nation because it was based on historical events. I haven't seen Harriet so I can't comment on that.

Respect, breh. You don’t have to like the show just because I do. I respect it. Not everything is for everyone.
:ehh:

I refuse to watch “Harriet”.
:hhh:

I liked “Django”, but loved “Birth of a Nation” especially. I almost bought the poster to hang in my gym. I still might.

TallMan_J

Retired from TheColi
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Retired
I’m torn. On one hand I do think the world needs to be exposed to the horrors of white racism. People gloss over the shyt they did to us far too much. I remember people online saying they didn’t even know about Tulsa, Oklahoma until they saw that scene on HBO’s Watchmen.

White depravity needs to be exposed so they can’t hide in historical obscurity.
So I do think there needs to be a portrayal. But it should be framed within the context of blacks literally fukking these people up. Brutally. In retaliation. I’m talking Martyrs type shyt. We need to feel just as comfortable seeing violence depicted towards white oppression as we see the reverse.

Which is why I’m still waiting on a movie about the Haitian Revolution.
Haitian_Revolution_-_Black_slaves_killing_white_slavers.jpg
revenge.jpg

200px-Manuel_Lopez_Lopez_Iodibo_-_Desalines_-_Huyes_del_valor_frances%2C_pero_matando_blancos.jpg

haitian-revolution-insurrection-1791-science-source.jpg

What’s good Hollywood?

Also, the other issue is black stories are too monolithic. All of our depictions can’t just be about suffering. More Afro-speculative fiction as well.

Great post.

Tariq made film about The Haitian Revolution a while ago. Now, I’m not saying that it’s a top-tier, big budget box office movie. But, he did make a film about it, and I definitely respect that (even though I’ve yet to watch it).
:ehh:

Htrb-nvr-blk-&-ug-as-evr

Black and not crackin’
Supporter
Daps

This the creator of the show. There’s a common thread between these film industry freaks who are hell bent on terrorizing black people (Little Marvin, Lee Daniels, Lena Waithe) :dame:

They hate black people because they worship and are attracted to white people. They also hold childhood grudges against all black folks because someone called them gay or a dork when they were 10 years old.

That hatred runs deep.

Soon as y’all realize the fix is in with hollyweird and their black fakkit/dyke puppets, the sooner y’all will realize we will never get big budget positive black adventures/Sci-fi/quality storylines produced. I refuse to watch the shyt this hard faced bull dagger and her deviant fakkit friends produce. I could swing The Chi for the first 2 seasons, but this muncher had to faq it up season 3. I absolutely know there are fantastic scripts by black writers out there that deviate from the norm that would be great on the big screen. I mentioned it before, but “Black Box” on Amazon is a good example. But I guess when you have zero power in media, you just have to let the fags and cacs in power depict the way they want the world to see you...