Jonah Hill only got paid 60k for "The Wolf of Wall Street", movie has grossed $339M

LastManStanding

Veteran
Daps
and didn't receive any back end percentage points either.

Now I know that $60,000 is a lot of money, but when you consider the fact that he was second to only Leonardo DiCaprio in selling the movie, the production budget was $100M, and the film has grossed $339M worldwide - that is downright ridiculous. Yea he got to work with Scorsese and DiCaprio, but you would think that it would only be fair to at least give the dude a small percentage on the back end depending on how well the movie sells. it just doesn't seem right that the studio suits get away with that type of shyt.

"with a budget they claim is around $100M — could have anted up a bit more for Oscar-nominated actor Jonah Hill. On Tuesday, Hill — the sidekick to Leonardo DiCaprio in Wolf Of Wall Street – said on The Howard Stern Show he was paid only $60,000 for his role before commissions and taxes, adding that DiCaprio was paid probably around $10M (DiCaprio starred and produced).

“They gave me the lowest amount of money possible. That was their offer and I said, ‘I will sign the paper tonight. Fax ‘em the papers tonight. I want to sign them tonight before they change their mind. I wanna sign them before I go to sleep tonight so they legally can’t change their mind,” Hill said. He said he wanted to work for Scorsese. “I would sell my house and give him all my money to work for him,” added Hill. “This isn’t what you make money for. You do 22 Jump Street or you do other things, and you can pay your rent. I would’ve done anything in the world. I would do it again in a second … This sh*t isn’t about money. You should do things that you care about.” The movie, Hill, DiCaprio and Terence Winter were nominated for Oscars last week."

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/jonah-hill-salary-wolf-of-wall-street-60000/

LastManStanding

Veteran
Daps
In his position, he probably has done plenty of money grabs, super bad being the most successful, i think this was a good move.

-DMP-

hell even Jared Leto got paid more than that (I've heard $250k) for "Dallas Buyers Club" and that movie was on a $5M budget (compared to Wolf's $100M).

ThePsydeFX

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
It's the price he decided to pay in order to build his profile up in a big way. The studios aren't about handing out money out of charity. The creative Hollywood accounting more than likely would've made it so he never got much of the back end either way.

He should be eating from jump street and them other comedies he be doing. This was an investment in his future.

nalej

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Seatown
It was his offer to get paid that. I'm sure his buddy Leo slipped him a couple mill since he made so much in residuals.

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
Of course it was not about the money. Hell prior to the movie coming out I know Scorsese was looking at the producers like, ":rudy: Jonah Hill? You mean that fat nikka from the comedies? fukk I need that clown in my movie for?". shyt if I was Scorsese that nikka would have to pay me just to have a non speaking role. Keep in mind I had no idea he would eventually kill that role.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Besides Will Smith and Tom Cruise, most actors don't get those ridiculous pay days
you add Downy Jr to that because of Iron Man franchise

RDJ only got paid 500k for the first one. Terrance Howard got paid more.

Jonah Hill and Terrence Howard are perfect examples of what you should and not should not do in Hollywood. Jonah Hill took a paycut and now he is going to get rewarded. Howard wouldn't take a paycut and it almost ended his career.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
RDJ only got paid 500k for the first one. Terrance Howard got paid more.

Jonah Hill and Terrence Howard are perfect examples of what you should and not should not do in Hollywood. Jonah Hill took a paycut and now he is going to get rewarded. Howard wouldn't take a paycut and it almost ended his career.

I'm saying though, Jonah Hill ain't never making 50 mil a movie no matter what he does

only people getting that money right now is Tom Cruise, Will Smith, and Downy Jr

Leo ain't even getting that bread, that's why he produced the movie, so he can get that big quap that way

I know that moive ain't really cost no damn 100 mil, Leo boosted the numbers on budget and pocketed that bread

LastManStanding

Veteran
Daps
I'm not trying to say Hill should have held out for more money. I'm just saying the studio is damn greedy.

I don't blame Hill for jumping on the opportunity. however $60,000 for a film that made 339M on a 100M budget (and will make a couple hundred million more in sales/rentals/network TV royalties, etc.), the studio should have some sort of bonus for one of the guys who helped sell the movie.