Jon Moxley On Why He Bleeds So Often In His Matches

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
In an interview with Sports Illustrated, Jon Moxley defended his use of blood in wrestling, saying he believes blood ‘belongs’ in a combat sport. He also spoke about being happy with where he is in his life and career:

On his belief about blood in wrestling: “This is a combat sport. College wrestling is a combat sport, too. They have blood timeouts to patch it up. The lowest prelim bout of a UFC card or a boxing card, somebody might have a little blood on their eyebrow or blood coming out of their nose. But they’re not selling a blood sport. It’s not, ‘Tune in for the blood! Tune in for the gore!’ It’s part of the aesthetic. It adds realism.”

On not always bleeding on purpose: “Sometimes when I don’t even want it to. But I only know one speed. That’s with my foot to the gas pedal. If we’re going to do something, let’s f—ing do it. That can be detrimental when it comes to negative things, like drugs or alcohol. But that’s my mindset. If I’m doing it, I’m doing it. When it comes to blood, it’s just going to happen sometimes. Like I said, it’s foot to the gas pedal. Some people say, ‘This is just a random match. Why is there blood?’ I heard that last week vs. Tomohiro Ishii. He’s one of the greatest of all time. I’m not going to let that moment slip by. I’m going foot-to-the-f—ing-gas-pedal. How can I not? Then I hear that I can’t have a good match without blood. O.K., then, you made my argument for me. I’ll do it every time. The point of the dissertation is that this is a combat sport. But we’re not allowed to have blood in a match unless it’s a personal grudge? We’re only allowed to have blood after a five-month grudge after someone slept with somebody’s wife or somebody ran over someone with a car? And then—and only then—are we allowed to have this dramatic crimson mask that looks the exact same every single time? For me, realism-wise, since this is a combat sport, that means there is the potential for blood in every match. Everything in wrestling is preposterous to some degree, but this helps with the suspension of disbelief. I’m actually for less blood but more often. If every single match on the card had a busted eyebrow or bloody nose, it would just be part of the sport. But some gory spectacle with blood shooting like a hose is pretty unnecessary. We’re elbowing each other in the face every single match. We’re kicking each other in the face every single match. What are these people made of if they’re not bleeding? People ask why there is blood in the ring every time I leave it. It feels unnatural to go out of my way to make sure no one is bleeding. That feels like I’m taking my foot off the gas pedal. That doesn’t interest me.”

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:mjlol: At this point just let bleed but I love this because its just going to make cacette even more mad and wondering why this guy has fans for another episode

Striving For Greatness

Get Certs or Die Tryin
Daps
I’m a hemophobic but I don’t mind a few red stream after a nice chair shot

Also did he get stabbed in the head here?

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Moxley mentioned the crimson mask that looks the same every time, but he bleeds the same way every time and it looks phony.
If Jon's point is to add realism, the he should bleed from his arms and torso like Sabu, Mick Foley, and Hayabusa used to do. Better yet, let Moxley make it look real by getting a black eye. That guy bleeds every Wednesday night, and doesn't even have any scars to show for it. The only time I can remember bleeding from a spot other than his forehead was when he got his earring ripped out in some random, meaningless match.

Brad Piff

The Money & The Miles
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
IMG-3936.jpg

“Realism”

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
My take is… whatever

In the E it feels like a bigger deal when dudes bleed because we don’t see often. Doesn’t necessarily mean it has to be that way though. If this nikka wanna bleed every time the bell rings, shout out to him. I grew up on ecw where muhfukkas was bleeding around the arena in the opening match and shyt, so I get it. If that’s his thing, gone head and get ya shyt off

Also y’all be cappin with the fake concern

Last edited:

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
The first paragraph is a point I’ve raised so glad to see someone actually in the industry do it even though it’s a guy a lot of people will dismiss because he bleeds all the time.

In real fights people bleed, just the way it is. Having a no blood policy isn’t realistic.

• Dap
Reactions: 907

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
That guy bleeds every Wednesday night, and doesn't even have any scars to show for it.
Isn't that essentially the point? Flair and Dusty would do that shyt on the road and while it may not be life threatening, it looks like they were blading just to blade.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Isn't that essentially the point? Flair and Dusty would do that shyt on the road and while it may not be life threatening, it looks like they were blading just to blade.
The point of what? Like you said, Flair & Dusty were on the road. They weren't on tv doing their one & only trick on tv each week.

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
The point of what? Like you said, Flair & Dusty were on the road. They weren't on tv doing their one & only trick on tv each week.
I'm just talking about the scars part. Now if his ass keeps blading with deeper cuts, his forehead will will look like a damn oven grate, which I'm fairly certain is what he wants, but his wife would most likely want to avoid.