John Carpenter Making 'The Thing' Sequel

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
It’s hard to compete with the cold isolation of central Antarctica. The isolation and temperature help up viewer anxiety and make even normal life dangerous for the researchers.

It’s pretty essential to making the plot believable because of the almost complete lack of life out there, and the cold acted as a prison. There’s nothing that the thing randomly can find, assimilate, and imitate. It’s only escape was the researchers or their sled dogs. Their only escape was killing the thing.

I tried to think really hard about your question and how other settings could be possible. I first thought of an ocean platform or submarine but it’s too implausible for it to not be able to escape and find life nearby, over the course of a whole movie.

I think the only believable place would be a space station (for the past, present, or near future setting) or a research base on Mars, our moon, one of Jupiter's moons, or some shyt like Pluto (near future or distant future setting). We know extreme cold slows it down and extreme heat hurts/kills it.
The first one hit hard for me because of the raised stakes. We saw MacReady willing to risk his own life by the end in a means to save the human race. What hit harder though was Carpenter putting the audience in the same paranoid mindstate as the crewmates when it came down to determining whether the Thing got ahold of Childs/MacReady. That ambiguity would be gone with a sequel I’d imagine, with the threat of global infection guaranteed. I think the biggest mistake a sequel could do is to not double down on a bleak ending.

If they decide to venture into the void then you might as well adapt Dead Space at that point and apparently there is one on the way.

He always throws teases like this. I do think it’s matter of ‘when’ not ‘if’ for the sequel though. I just find it hard to believe Hollywood will keep their hands off of it, especially down the road when Carpenter will no longer be with us.