John Carpenter Making 'The Thing' Sequel

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps

One of my favorite films from one of my favorite directors. These guys are old though, I don't know how this will turn out.

Superstar
Daps

One of my favorite films from one of my favorite directors. These guys are old though, I don't know how this will turn out.

Everybody is assumed to have died in the first. So a sequel is free to go where he takes it.

Panthro11

All Star
Daps
I also need this
bigtrouble5a.jpg

Superstar
Daps
Btw what did everyone think of the prequel?

I was hyped during production, while watching it, and still get fanned out when it plays. I know it has its flaws but the lore is so good, in “The Thing”, that I can look past them. I understood the switching from practical effects to digital and just accept it for what it is. My favorite thing is how it blends into the 1982 movie at the end.

Last edited:

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Yeah I just watched it again. They did a good job of keeping the vibe of the original, and the story syncs up well.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Setting wise, Antarctica in the OG made so much sense. Remote, surrounded by frozen tundras, and went hand in hand with the film’s brooding atmosphere. I wonder where else a sequel could take place because civilization is fukked if that life-form touches down on any other continent.

Superstar
Daps
Setting wise, Antarctica in the OG made so much sense. Remote, surrounded by frozen tundras, and went hand in hand with the film’s brooding atmosphere. I wonder where else a sequel could take place because civilization is fukked if that life-form touches down on any other continent.

It’s hard to compete with the cold isolation of central Antarctica. The isolation and temperature help up viewer anxiety and make even normal life dangerous for the researchers.

It’s pretty essential to making the plot believable because of the almost complete lack of life out there, and the cold acted as a prison. There’s nothing that the thing randomly can find, assimilate, and imitate. It’s only escape was the researchers or their sled dogs. Their only escape was killing the thing.

I tried to think really hard about your question and how other settings could be possible. I first thought of an ocean platform or submarine but it’s too implausible for it to not be able to escape and find life nearby, over the course of a whole movie.

I think the only believable place would be a space station (for the past, present, or near future setting) or a research base on Mars, our moon, one of Jupiter's moons, or some shyt like Pluto (near future or distant future setting). We know extreme cold slows it down and extreme heat hurts/kills it.