Joey Badass; Brining it back to the essence or gimmick

cocaine

Say No To Bath Salts
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Bringing**

I'm personally feeling this young guys music even tho I've only heard a few tracks on youtube. Really reminds me of that old New York sound from the 90's especially the Hard Knock track..hopefully he keeps it raw and does songs with all of the older greats instead of going the backpack/hipster road

Thoughts?

videos:

tracks:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWZekxCLVx4]Joey Bada$$ - World Domination [Prod. MF DOOM] HQ - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
this site loves him so his career is doomed

cocaine

Say No To Bath Salts
Daps
Reppin
NYC
He's a NY mc that sounds like a throwback NY mc. Where is the gimmick?

Is it a gimmick that Krit sounds like a throwback southern/Dungeon Family rapper?

Best new artist I've heard in years.

when all new nyc artist sound southern or use southern beats and one comes out rapping in multi's like az or someone back in the day sh1t gets crazy :win:

thekidfromqueens

the best borough
Daps
Reppin
Southside, Queens
Great MC, and those kids put on a great show. Went to the inaugural show at the knitting factory in brooklyn. Took us all on stage yellin "Pro Era, Pro Era" at the end whole place was live hands in the air like on some 8 mile shyt. Can't wait for his debut mixtape. Duke is mad chill. Kicked it with STEEZ and a couple other prodies in the cypher after the show too. Honestly, it IS taking it back to the essences. I'm sure when he blows || they probably wont be cypherin with random ppl like that but they are mad chill and I have only good things to say about them and their music. They look like they really do it for the love of hip hop and that's from first hand experience.

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
when all new nyc artist sound southern or use southern beats and one comes out rapping in multi's like az or someone back in the day sh1t gets crazy :win:

NYC artist sounds like he's from Houston = Gimmick

NYC artist sounds like he's from NYC = Gimmick?

Shows you how ass backwards the game is. ASAP Rocky & Drake sounding like Texas boys and nikkas start :dj2:

An NY nikka sounding like Nas lil brother comes out and people get confused.

this site loves him so his career is doomed

His career is doomed cause this style wont get played on radio or clubs. He's destined to become the next Saigon. "Real hip hop nerds" aka Rosenberg types, will sing his praises then when soundscan numbers get released shyt gets quiet.

cocaine

Say No To Bath Salts
Daps
Reppin
NYC
the 90's new york sound is dead not even the old heads sound like that anymore..

example of a gimmicky new york rapper...action bronson, yeah he's got the lyrics and flow like back in the day but if you really pay attention he just puts words together that rhyme he really doesnt say much, not saying he's a bad artist one of my favorites today but this joey kid might be spitting from the heart but only time will tell

cocaine

Say No To Bath Salts
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Shows you how ass backwards the game is. ASAP Rocky & Drake sounding like Texas boys and nikkas start :dj2:

An NY nikka sounding like Nas lil brother comes out and people get confused.

His career is doomed cause this style wont get played on radio or clubs. He's destined to become the next Saigon. "Real hip hop nerds" aka Rosenberg types, will sing his praises then when soundscan numbers get released shyt gets quiet.

exactly shxts getting real confusing now :pachaha:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I like both, but I just find it funny how regardless of the rapper, you'll get called a gimmick.

I've already heard the industry plant label put on him.

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
I wouldnt use the term "gimmick" for nobody mentioned in this thread. They all talented rappers dikkriding the popular sound right now and its paying dividends....:manny:

I would use the term "gimmick" for artists like White Girl Mob tho