Joey Bada$$ - Hard Knock

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I can see if he grew up during that period but seeing he didn't makes it more special.

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
this is wack, shyt sounds ancient and stupid

lol @ being 16 wanting to rap like a 1990s nikka, nikka you grew up listening to ying yang twins and nelly stop frontin hipster fakkit

:ohhh:

fuk the age brah, he was born in the 90's and loves that shyt

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this is wack, shyt sounds ancient and stupid

lol @ being 16 wanting to rap like a 1990s nikka, nikka you grew up listening to ying yang twins and nelly stop frontin hipster fakkit
Who Is Joey Bada$$? | Complex

I really wanted to be Young Money, I swear. I’m mad I even shared that information. There was a point in time where my third eye was closed. I really wasn’t conscious of the things that were going on around me. I was just going based off of what was the basic, mainstream shyt. I was younger. I feel like I’ve aged twenty-five years since then.

Weezy’s not bad. But now
it’s like, ‘N*gga, get the f*ck off stage.’ My taste went in a different direction. I’m mad at a lot of today’s rappers. Like,
that Kanye sh*t on the
‘I Don’t Like (Remix).’ I don’t like it!

“I wasn’t really a Weezy fan. I was caught in the hype. But after a while, I went back to the old shyt, and I mean, Weezy’s not bad. But now it’s like, ‘nikka, get the fukk off stage.’ My taste went in a different direction. I’m mad at a lot of today’s rappers. Like, that Kanye shyt on the ‘I Don’t Like (Remix).’ I don’t like it! [‘Theraflu,’] I don’t like it! [Laughs.]

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/05/who-is-joey-badass/discovering-90s-rap

Growing up, and wanting to stay relevant to the time period of the music I was listening to made me want to go back and listen to [older recordings of the artists I was a fan of]. Like, my favorite artist was Jay-Z, so I went back on Jay-Z to the times where his music was floating in my subconscious, in the womb, or when I was two years old. I went back on everything. My favorite artists are [MF] Doom, Nas, Jay-Z, B.I.G. The usuals, [other than Doom].

I can’t resist the Doom beats. They keep calling me. I have all of them, or have at least heard them through YouTube.

“I can’t resist the Doom beats. They keep calling me. I have all of them, or have at least heard them through YouTube, all those Special Herbsbeats. We have a secret hidden freestyle that’s like an hour on this one Doom beat mixtape.

“I was put on by STEEZ. I didn’t know who Doom was until I got to high school, because I was so stuck on that Lil’ Wayne shyt. “World Domination” [from 1999] is on a Doom beat, called ‘Datura Stramonium.’

“Illmatic. I generally don’t fall for the hype, but Illmatic is illmatic! But you know what? It’s funny, I might like It Was Written more than Illmatic. But Illmatic was still illmatic. I probably like It Was Written more because I don’t want to say I’m more for the hype, but It Was Written I feel like is truly better than Illmatic. He killed that shyt.

“Reasonable Doubt, love. Ready To Die. The Massacre, Get Rich or Die Tryin’, that was my shyt. Life After Death. Aquemini, ATLiens. Operation Doomsday too.”