Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
joe influenced ali

but ali was more mobile and evolved at the time

you cant really call it without turning a blind eye to the facts

ali was just too fast but if they came up at the same time ... why wouldnt joe louis be faster to adapt?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
:wow:The other day in History class, we watched a documentary on Joe Louis.... Very interesting shyt.

I was legit like :ohhh:the whole time. The nikka was ill.

:snoop:Damn shame how they turned on him...

:jbhmm:I was wondering who was better? Also, who made a bigger social impact on America?

:myman: Let's talk on it, brehs.

I'd say Joe Louis worldwide probably had a bigger impact at the time, first black after the ban since Jack Johnson on top of that the whole white world behind him in fighting Max Schemeling.

Ali was huge and his impact more appreciated later in his life.

So social impact I'm gonna go Joe Louis slightly.

In terms of boxing, Ali was far superior , due to speed, reach, chin, skill, reflexes, defense and size.

OG_StankBrefs

Da Spice...
Daps
Reppin
Caladan
:mjlol1: That's very @BuddyOmar-ish of you.

owQa4.jpg
I'll
be in da PAWG thread... cleansing mahself. :mjcry:

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How Joe Louis Would have Beaten Muhammad Ali

From the article:

In comparison to my original somewhat superficial thoughts from my 1991 letter a more thorough examination of the facts shows the following to be true:

1. While Ali is the fastest heavyweight ever, Louis was nearly as fast with his hands. Ali’s many tactical mistakes would leave him open to one of Louis lightning-like strikes. His foot-speed and jab would be negated by Louis properly placed right parrying hand. Louis would render ineffective Ali’s primary weapon, his left jab, and drive him to the ropes vis-a-vis Ken Norton.

2. Ali was a master of strategy against slow handed bruisers like Liston, Terrell, Foreman, and Shavers. He had more trouble with men with hand speed who could punch with him like Doug Jones, Norton, and Jimmy Young. Louis was superior in hand speed to any of these men. With the previously outlined strategy, which Blackburn and Joe would be sure to implement, Louis would not be at a strategic disadvantage against Ali.

3. Ali had a great chin, but he was not a diety. Nat Fleischer rated Joe Louis as the greatest finisher in ring history. Consider that Joe Frazier had Ali in serious trouble and he did not have Louis speed of delivery, combination punching ability, nor was he as deadly a finisher. Had it been Joe Louis he would have kayoed Ali in the first Frazier first fight, and also in the third. Liston, Foreman and Shavers were big punchers but slow of hand, and could not carry on a sustained assault for 15 rounds. Louis definitely would not tire and he was a more explosive and sharper puncher in the mold of a young Mike Tyson. Louis had real shock value in his punches. Ali’s chin would have its greatest test not against Frazier or Foreman but against Joe Louis.

4. Ali was never beaten until a 3-year lay-off, but it was still close to his physical prime he was less than 2 months removed from his 29th birthday. Some would say he lost to Doug Jones, and he was nearly kayoed by Cooper so his unbeaten streak is not without tarnish. In comparing Ali when he retired at age 36 after beating Spinks his record was 56-3 with 37 kayos. Louis when he retired as champion at age 35 was 60-1 with 51 kayos. Louis also lost four of his best years due to WW2 just as Ali lost 3 ½ years in his forced exile. Overall Ali faced the better competition, but Max Schmeling (a first rate counter-puncher), Max Baer (one of the hardest hitters in division history), Arturo Godoy (a strong chinned swarmer), and Jersey Joe Walcott (one of the slickest boxer-punchers of all time) are better than anyone that Ali faced during his prime years, with the exception of Sonny Liston. Both Ali and Louis were dominant champions.