Jeremy Allen White on Superhero Movies: ‘I Am Confused’ by How Superhero Films Became the ‘Pinnacle of an Actor’s Career’

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Ehhh, don't know about that. Tony Stark is absolutely, indisputably, considered RDJ's pinnacle role. Same with everyone who played Spider-Man. Chris Evans as Cap. etc...happens fairly frequently.

You're talking about financial or pop culture success....I'm talking about the quality of movies and/or acting ability.

He could be talking about either, both, or something else. I'm saying if someone doesn't care about the MCU they're probably going to say RDJ was better in "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang". Hell, RDJ was just in "Oppenheimer", which is a more serious (for lack of a better word) movie than some comic book shyt. If he wins an Oscar for that then I'm not sure how someone could argue Ironman was the peak of his career.

Regardless, it's a moot point because he didn't specify what he meant.

Fred.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
You're talking about financial or pop culture success....I'm talking about the quality of movies and/or acting ability.

He could be talking about either, both, or something else. I'm saying if someone doesn't care about the MCU they're probably going to say RDJ was better in "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang". Hell, RDJ was just in "Oppenheimer", which is a more serious (for lack of a better word) movie than some comic book shyt. If he wins an Oscar for that then I'm not sure how someone could argue Ironman was the peak of his career.

Regardless, it's a moot point because he didn't specify what he meant.

Fred.

It's about what you value... The Art or the Business.

Iron Man was without a doubt a more financially and socially successful role for RDJ, but Opppenheimer is probably a better display of his skill and craft as an actor.

Think about it like Rap, would you rather have a career of someone like Drake or Eminem.... or a career like MF Doom or Masta Ace?

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
I don't even watch these movies anymore. Only superhero movies I check out are the Spiderverse movies. Haven't watched a Marvel or actual Superhero movie in probably close to five years. Never understood why people like them so much. They are all the same. Good guy beats the bad guy in the end and gets the girl.
That's not really how alot of these Marvel joints have been ending :russ:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It's about what you value... The Art or the Business.

Iron Man was without a doubt a more financially and socially successful role for RDJ, but Opppenheimer is probably a better display of his skill and craft as an actor.

Think about it like Rap, would you rather have a career of someone like Drake or Eminem.... or a career like MF Doom or Masta Ace?

I don't disagree but the quote from Jeremy Allen White is so vague im not sure what he considers the pinnacle in the context of his quote. If he means financial success then yeah, obviously an MCU movie (Drake) is gonna be a better peak than an an indie critical darling movie (MF DOOM).

I don't understand why he's framing that as a bad thing though. Like you said, it depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Fred.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Straight up…. And this ain’t at the TS poster.

He did nothing wrong, this a topical topic in the industry…

But Jeremy nicca or Scorsese.

I’m gonna need these niccas to STFU PRONTO

If niccas really wanna do some about CBM, how bout they consistently make some or the movies that people want to see!

And I ain’t talking about the occasional Top Gun or Barbie which in the grande scheme still ain’t what they talking about wanting to do

But it their job to figure it out and do better. They getting annoying whining on their yards watching the cars drive by

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Super hero movies give a young actor a lot of exposure, but it doesn't translate well to other things. Because Chris Evans has been captain America for 10 years, that's what people think of when they see him since his marvel contracts limited how many movies and shows he could be in.

Now that he's out of the contract he's in movies nobody watches like Ghosted and the Gray Man. As an actor nobody really cares about seeing him. If the movie he's in is too good to ignore (like knives out) people will tune in. Marvel is what gave him that boost though. Same with Chris Hemsworth and that other one people claim is racist/Maga affiliated.

It's ironic because Jeremy Allen is someone a lot of people wanted as a potential Peter Parker. Being in a superhero movie is like being on a reality TV show and putting your social media handles under your name. Your profiles will blow up and you can flip that into contracts for future work.
I guess it’s because superheroes are a standard franchise.

just like how any British dude with a bit of buzz gets the should he be Bond question. Don’t know when X,Y, or Z book will be adapted but you know Batman will get rebooted.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
I don't disagree but the quote from Jeremy Allen White is so vague im not sure what he considers the pinnacle in the context of his quote. If he means financial success then yeah, obviously an MCU movie (Drake) is gonna be a better peak than an an indie critical darling movie (MF DOOM).

I don't understand why he's framing that as a bad thing though. Like you said, it depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Fred.

I think he's being very clear in what he considers to be the pinnacle.

He wouldn't be trashing the Superhero movies if financial and social acclaim was his goal. Its about the art with him.

But he also is speaking a bit from ignorance on the business end because those blockbuster superhero movies basically keep the entire industry thriving so indie darlings can have their space to make their artsy films. Both are needed, but to dismiss one, is a bit naive at best and slander at worst imo.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I think he's being very clear in what he considers to be the pinnacle.

He wouldn't be trashing the Superhero movies if financial and social acclaim was his goal. Its about the art with him.

But he also is speaking a bit from ignorance on the business end because those blockbuster superhero movies basically keep the entire industry thriving so indie darlings can have their space to make their artsy films. Both are needed, but to dismiss one, is a bit naive at best and slander at worst imo.

The issue is he isn't talking about his goal. He asked why super hero films become the pinnacle of an actor's career. If he strictly means financial/pop culture status then it's a dumb question. So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he means something else.

Fred.

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
inb4 Marvel casts him as the ever-confused-and-spaced-out-looking Molecule Man

Daps
Once you play a superhero, kids view you as that hero. They buy the action figures, video games, etc. Chris Evans may do other things, but to most people, he’s Captain America. Marvel really did a good job casting the same actors over and over again, as opposed to making a new Batman every few films.

How many modern Batmans have we had? Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, Clooney, Christian Bale, Robert Pattinson. I don’t acknowledge J. Lo’s husband as Batman.

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
It depends. Marlon Brando was in Superman and Superman 2 (Donner Cut). You don't associate him with that film. Yet Christopher Reeve will always be Superman regardless of how many roles he did afterwards.

People associate Chadwick with Black Panther when he used to kill it in biopics. For me his roles as James Brown and Thurgood Marshall.

Then I think of Robert Downey Jr. Hollywood royalty who gets chance after chance to redeem himself. I will always remember him for 3 films. Weird Science, Chaplin and Tropic Thunder. He was tasked to play Tony Stark. A man who has substance abuse issues, great talent and lives in the shadow of his father. He essentially played himself.